"Riddick" has flaws but functions as action-packed fun

Riddick,” the newest chapter in “The Chronicles of Riddick” series, is an enjoyable science fiction thriller and the third live-action film to receive a theatrical release. It stars Vin Diesel as Riddick, a dangerous criminal with modified eyes that see exceptionally well in the dark.

In this installment, Riddick is being hunted by mercenaries out to collect a bounty on his head, and must find a way to elude capture and escape the harsh desert planet he is trapped on. The story works fine as a “stand-alone film,” and prior knowledge of the series is not necessary to enjoy this movie. However, it is very violent with gratuitous amounts of gore, and is therefore not for the squeamish or easily offended.

The story is refreshingly low-key and does a good job of building conflict between the characters and ratcheting up the tension from scene to scene. A sizable portion of the film even feels like a slasher movie, with Diesel playing the role of the rarely-seen, seemingly-unstoppable monster that picks off the cast one-by-one.
The acting is acceptable for an action movie. Diesel is physically imposing and suitably menacing in the titular role and Jordi Mollà and Matt Nable both turn in adequate performances as the leaders of rival mercenary bands out to capture him.

The special effects vary in quality, but overall the movie does a good job with the balance of fantastic landscapes and strange creatures that are both visually interesting yet suitably alien.
The film, which was critically panned, does have some flaws. The characters make some questionable decisions that feel like flimsy excuses to advance the plot, and “Riddick” does recycle some elements from the original film in the series, “Pitch Black,” most notably the premise of being trapped on a harsh, unforgiving planet with hostile wild life – but these don’t keep it from being entertaining.

“Riddick” may not be an epic blockbuster, but it is a fun diversion for those suffering from the back-to-school blues and looking for some cinematic escapism.