Church is not just a building

Church is about fellowship with people in motion, not just the physical structure.

Believers, or followers of Jesus, do meet in the chantry traditionally, but that isn’t what solidifies the connection of the members. People can meet wherever or whenever they want. They are the church, not the structure.

Church is not about tithing and offering money. There are no special scanners counting people or net worth as they come in, telling how much should be expected in the offering plates. Many churches have a fund to financially help others when the need arises, a counter to the idea that churches are avaricious.

If the church is doing it right, it should have a welcoming atmosphere and be willing to help others whether they are succeeding or struggling in life. It should allow people to feel safe, welcome and able to talk openly with the others around them. In that same sense, churches should be filled with people who do not have it all together, because if they think they do, they’re not doing it right.

A congregation made up of people from all walks of life provides life lessons, along with chances to learn together and support one another throughout any situation they may encounter. When churches can become this ideal place, it also allows a wide variety of people to be a part of a place where they can come together and create a unique environment.

It is all about the fellowship and the relationships which are developed with the people. The people impact lives, making their church a living element. I have experienced that very impactful aspect for myself throughout basically my entire life. When I think of family I always include about 40 people with no blood relation to me.

That is my church family: second grandpas, loving aunts, trusting siblings and lifelong friends. I’ve learned unconditional love is attainable and extendable to all types of people. I also found my passion for teaching from working with the different kids who never let a dull moment happen.

In light of all these aspects of what church really is, I cringe whenever I am reminded of all the stereotypes that are so prevalent today. The church is not perfect, but what it is meant to be – and what I have been able to experience – is loving, not money-hungry or uninviting.

Church isn’t one rigid definition or place – it’s a living element. It’s people. The old notions of church aren’t as true as they may appear. Church is fellowship and love with people in motion.