‘La Dolce Vita’ showcases sweet style

This past Thursday was the end of events for this year’s Fashion Week at Eastern Michigan University with the grand finale of the “La Dolce Vita” fashion show.

The runway show featured 33 models with new designers Cortez Settles, Nina Jefferson, Vincent Ryan, Ericka Lindsey, Lena Harbali, F.S.C.L Clothing, Caroline Booth and Keisha Danielle. The student organization donated funds raised during Fashion Week to the American Heart Association, and Shecari Sorrells, president of Fashionality, said what makes the organization thrive is being active and visible. She also accomplished her goal of getting the show paid for.

“We donate to a charitable cause every single year,” Sorrells said. “Our organization is more in depth than the typical student organization because we have to fundraise, compose sponsorship packets [and] following up with businesses consistently.”

The clothing from each designer was diverse, from a dark navy high-waisted one piece with suspenders to swimwear with connected hoods. This was the place to be for student designers and anyone who loves fashion.

Audience members had the chance to come onstage and walk the runway. Attendee Tyler Johnson participated in this event as well as cheering the show on. Johnson said, “I showed up to support the show.”

Also, EMU Student Body President Desmond Miller and Executive Director Ben Elmgren came out to show their support for Fashionality.

“The show was amazing,” Miller said. “There’s a reason why students come here.”

This year’s models enjoyed the show and for student Meagan Keeler, this was her first runway show.

“I’m just glad I didn’t fall,” Keeler said.

“The show was hectic and nerve-racking. It was hectic in the back but out there it was your time to shine,” said model Dacia Singer.

A lot of time and effort was put into the show, from the models and designers, to the host and the staff who put the whole show together. The runway show had current music, amazing clothing designs and great audience participation.

The organization’s sponsors for the show were Styleline, Puffer Reds, EMU Campus Life, Student Center, Student Government, Detroit Pistons, Insomnia Cookies, Updated Media group and United Sons.