‘Relationships are tricky’

How do we differentiate between real love and the expectations that society tells us to have about love? Are relationships truly our own or are they hand-crafted, media corrupt, idealistic values that have been taught to us from the moment our cognitive reflexes kicked in and our memory stabilized?

Is love an emotion even felt anymore or is it merely an idea, a guideline for society to follow?
Words flee us and sheer terror sets in once we veer off the path of “structured relationships” and head deep into the forest of bramble emotions, where our feet catch on the rough terrain of tumultuous feelings. All we thought we knew about dating, relationships and love leaves us, and in its wake, it creates a dizzying reality, where all we can think is, “What do I do next?”

How can we come to terms with the unfamiliar landscape without toppling over with each ungraceful step? How do we learn to balance on such a rocky, un-traipsed path when our brand new shoes have yet to be scuffed with use? We can remedy this by placing one foot in front of the other and keeping a steady pace.

We can’t know what journeys life will throw at us, and we must find a way to travel them on our own. Sometimes self-discovery takes time, and it may seem exhausting or unattainable, but we achieve it in the end. Relationships are tricky. No matter what society has given us, there isn’t a rulebook for falling in love with an improbable mate.

Our culture dictates who we should fall in love with, but sometimes our brains decide to ignore the uncouth individuals and steer us in the opposite direction. Maybe we don’t know what we are doing, maybe society will turn their noses up at us, but we sure as hell are happily taking a three-legged race through this coarse terrain without any idea of how far we have to the finish line.