EMU club hockey loses two to Liberty University, 4-1 and 5-2

This past weekend, Eastern Michigan University’s club hockey team took on the Liberty University Flames in tough back-to-back games.

This was the first ever meeting between the teams as both games were played away at LaHaye Ice Center in Lynchburg, VA. The Eagles bowed to the Flames in both games despite early leads in both games, losing 4-1 and 5-2.

“The kids showed a great deal of heart battling through some adversity this week,” EMU head coach Kevin Gee stated. “Liberty is a very difficult place to play and they were competitive and gave themselves a chance to win,”

On Friday, Nov. 1, the teams traded power plays in the first two periods. The Flames scored first at 9:23 in the opening period and EMU’s sole goal of the game came on a 5-on-3 power play with 4:24 left in the second. Eagles defender Jordan Roemer put away Bobby Gasser’s pass across the cage inside the right post before the Liberty Goalie could get a glove on it.

Three of the five goals scored in Friday’s game were on a power play. Liberty outshot EMU 36-28. The two teams combined for 37 penalties (EMU had 13).

The Eagles handed Liberty their seventh straight win on Saturday, Nov. 2 despite Kyle Astalos’ rebound off a shot by Gasser near the left post. Astalos gave EMU an early lead at the 11:29 mark.

At the end of the first, Liberty finished two scoring chances in a span of three and a half minutes to put the Flames on top 2-1. The Eagles held off Liberty on a couple of penalties mid-way through the second.

The Eagles tied it up when Gasser set up Adam Pinkowski for an open shot from the left circle to tie it up. The Flames went on to outscore the Eagles 5-2 and outshot EMU 46-26.

Gee felt the players who stood out the most were goaltender Andrew Duff, the forward line of Bryan Kozlowski, Kyle Astalos and Bobby Gasser, along with defensemen Jordan Roemer and Jason Simota.

“Overall I was very impressed with our effort and commitment to playing our system,” Gee said. “That was probably the most complete six periods of hockey we have played all season. Although the results didn’t go our way, we had some positives to build on as we get ready for another tough weekend. “

The Eagles will try to earn a win against the Wayne State University Warriors on Friday Nov. 8 on their home ice at the Taylor Sportsplex at 7:30 p.m.

In Other EMU Hockey News:

Senior Forward Nick Taurence was selected on Nov. 1 for the United States National University Team Roster. The team is comprised of players from collegiate ice hockey teams affiliated with the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

Team USA is slated to play one pre-tournament game against HC Fassa, a member of Italy’s Serie A, the top professional league in the country.

The contest, which is part of Team USA’s preparation for the 2013 Winter World University Games will take place at the Gianmario Scola Ice Stadium in Alba de Canazei, Italy on Dec. 8 at 7 p.m.
To follow more on the U.S. National University Team at the Winter World University Games, visit the main event page at USAHockey.com or you can follow them on @USAHockeyScores on Twitter.