BREAKING NEWS: English relieved of his coaching duties effective immediately

Updated: Saturday Nov. 9 at 1:41 p.m.

Eastern Michigan University Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Heather Lyke announced Friday that head coach Ron English has been relieved of his duties effective immediately.

Lyke issued a further statement through EMU Athletics early Saturday afternoon on the decision to relieve English from coaching duties:

“I received a tape of a situation in which Coach English had addressed the team and used wholly inappropriate language. We hold our coaches and staff to high standards of professionalism and conduct and there is no place, particularly in a student environment, where this language is appropriate. The statements made by Coach English are absolutely unacceptable. My decision to make a change in leadership of our football program was the culmination of a lot of factors including the comprehensive review of our program, the competitive performance and this tape. Our primary interest is in the well being and success of our student-athletes and this will continue to be our priority in every decision we make and every action we take. My focus moving forward is on the quality of our student-athletes’ experience as well as the search process for the next leader of our football program.”

The Eastern Echo has heard the recording in question, and can identify English’s comments.

Friday’s statement read, in part the following:

“At this time, I have decided that a change in the leadership of our football team is necessary.”

It went on to say

“Eastern Michigan University’s commitment to our student-athletes remain of the utmost importance as we move forward with the rest of this season and in selecting the new leader of our program.”

English went 11-46 in 57 games as EMU head coach from 2009-2013.

His last game as head coach was a 55-16 loss at the University of Toledo last Saturday where the defense gave up 729 total yards.

English lost his last seven games against Mid-American Conference teams. The last win was at Western Michigan University (29-23) on Nov. 17, 2012.

Lyke also announced that Stan Parrish will be the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the season.

In 13 years as a collegiate head coach, Parrish is 63-60-3 all-time in stints at Wabash (1978-82), Marshall (1984-85), Kansas State University (1986-88) and Ball State (2008-10).

Stay with The Eastern Echo as more news breaks.

Social Media:

Follow Eugene Evans on Twitter: @GenoSportsguy.

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho

Follow Derrick Vergolini on Twitter: @DerrickVergo