Katie's Craft Corner: Remedies for treating your skin with kindness this winter

The coming of winter brings cozy sweaters, fun in the snow and the risk of dry, chapped, flaking skin that’s so damaged it seems as if it will never return to normal again. As a person who struggles with both eczema and sensitivity, I’ve learned it doesn’t take dermatologist treatments to cure winter skin problems – just a bit of prevention, the right products and even some do-it-yourself remedies.

Redness and flakiness are the two biggest problems for the thin, delicate skin on your face. One DIY remedy for redness is a yogurt and oat mask. Lactic acid, found naturally in dairy products, is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that helps promote cell turnover, meaning new, healthy skin can grow more quickly to replace dry, damaged cells. Lactic acid is also hydrating and increases barrier lipids to help thicken and protect skin. If you’re allergic to dairy, avoid this treatment as it can cause irritation, but I will have additional remedies to try.

Yogurt-Oat Mask:

Mix 2 parts plain, unflavored Greek yogurt with 1 part dry, uncooked oats. Apply to face and let sit
for 15 minutes. Rise with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water. For a splurge, try Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser, $22 at Ulta Beauty or for a great product that’s more affordable, try Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser for $7.99 at Target and lukewarm water.

Note: Due to the exfoliating acid in this mask, redness might look slightly worse for a short amount of time before it gets better.

Soap, dry furnace heat and excessive scrubbing can cause skin on your elbows, knees and feet to become thick and flaky. While exfoliation with a gritty wash helps to get rid of dead skin cells on the skin’s surface, it can also cause damage. Once a month, make a gentle scrub (instructions below) suitable for even very sensitive skin. Rinse scrub residue away with warm water and a mild soap like Dove Go Fresh Bath Bar.

Personally, the biggest problem for me in the winter is chapped, nearly cracking skin on my hands. Washing in hot water with soap, along with frequent use of alcohol-based sanitizer keeps viruses away but takes a toll on skin. Try switching to moisturizing hand soap like Jergens Naturals Extra
Moisturizing Liquid Hand Wash, which is great for sensitive skin, to combat dryness at its source.
Using a thick, creamy lotion often for instance Avon’s Moisture Therapy Intensive Healing & Repair
Hand Cream is absolutely the best for being completely non-greasy and intensely hydrating.

Sugar Scrub:

Mix equal parts granulated sugar and extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil. This scrub is a great all-purpose gentle exfoliant and moisturizer all in one – use it on your body, hands even lips. Put a little on your finger and massage on lips in a circular motion. Rinse with water and apply lip balm.

Try the EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm available in stores like Target, Wal-Mart and Walgreens.

Remember, the best way to head off any problem is prevention. Wear sunscreen every day, since the sun’s rays are brighter and more intense in the winter, even if it’s not sunny outside. Wash your face every night to remove makeup and sweat, and use a light facial moisturizer every day –
Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream for Dry Skin is a good option. Don’t forget to drink lots of water to hydrate skin from the inside out, and get plenty of exercise to increase oxygen flow to skin cells. Who doesn’t need an extra excuse to go outside and get in shape?