Reporter seeks exciting, unique styles

I am beginning to embark on a journey to spotlight some of Eastern Michigan University’s students’ fashion styles for the fall, ranging from trendy and kooky to vintage inspired and punk. The bottom line is that no style is exempt from being showcased.

Sierra Straughter, engineering physics major and freshman whom I spotted at the Crossroad Marketplace, generously gave me permission to use her fashion style as my muse for my first EMU students’ fashion style spotlight.

Her oversized cream sweater perfectly paired with maroon leggings and combat boots drew me to discover more of what her unique fashion style entails.

“I feel that my style is very different from others,” Straughter said. “I really like T-shirts with simple logos on them or dark color leggings, preferably black or maroon.”

Among Straughter’s favorite stores are American Apparel, Urban Outfitters and Forever 21, yet she mostly shops at thrift stores for the inexpensive and authentic clothing that can be found there. Her style inspiration comes from the styles of the Japanese youth because of their bold fashion choices.

She would love to find some of the clothing but “it’s so obscure that it seems like they make it themselves,” she said.