Jenay Morton averaged 22.0 points per game and shot 35.9 percent from the floor last week.

Morton’s offense earns her MAC West Player of the Week

Eastern Michigan University guard Janay Morton was named the Mid-American Conference Women’s Basketball West Division Player of the Week, the conference office announced on Dec. 16.

It marks the first time she has won the award in her career.
Morton averaged 22.0 points while shooting 35.9 percent from the floor during the span.

Defensively, she hauled down 5.5 rebounds to go along with 3.5 assists and 3.0 steals a contest. In total, Morton was 12-of-13 from the free throw line. In 26 minutes at Michigan, Dec. 11, the Brooklyn Park, Minn. native was 8-for-21 from the floor for 21 points. She followed it up by equaling her career-high with 23 points to go along with six caroms, four assists and three steals.

Morton leads the squad in six offensive categories (points, field goals made, field goals attempted, three-pointers attempted, free throws made and free throws attempted) while ranking in the top-three in five others (assists, blocks, minutes, free throw percentage and three-pointers made).

She has notched three games of 20-or-more points scored and is one of just eight freshmen nationally ranked in the top 180 in scoring.

EMU heads to Stony Brook, N.Y. to participate in the Seawolves Holiday Classic Presented by Hilton Garden Inn at Pritchard Gymnasium on the campus of Stony Brook University.

The Eagles and Seawolves will be joined by Monmouth University and Wagner College. Eastern squares off versus the Seahawks Saturday, Dec. 21, followed by a matchup with the Hawks Sunday, Dec. 22.

Eastern Michigan is 7-1 on the season and with just one more victory can equal its entire win total from the 2012-13 season (8-22).