Women’s track shows skills at Holiday Meet

The Eastern Michigan University women’s track and field team took part in its first meet of the 2013-2014 season. They took part in the EMU Holiday Meet on Dec. 6 at Bowen Field House.

This was not a scored event, but the Green and White finished well against some of their fiercest competition that included Mid-American Conference foe the University of Toledo as well as their in-state rival Oakland University.

“We are optimistic about the upcoming season,” EMU coach Sue Parks said. “We lost some points from last year’s team but we feel that we have some new athletes we are prepared to make an impact. We always try to put ourselves in position to compete with the front runners of the conference.”

The Eagles had several first-place finishes in the Holiday Meet. Senior Sarah Chauchard had a winning time of 8.78 in the 60-meter hurdles. Chauchard was one of three athletes to come in under nine seconds. Aaliyah McKinney also placed first with a 7.54 finish in the 60-meter dash.

Another top finish in the meet included the team of Sophomore Morgan Yeadon, McKinney, Junior Danielle Clark, and Sophomore Iesha Hardiman in the 4×400-meter relay had the fastest time at 3:51.76.

“Aaliyah McKinney had a strong showing in the 60 and also had a great leg on the 1600 relay,”Parks said. “Ellie Bradic and Sarah Chauchard also had solid marks in their events.”

The EMU women’s field eventers were also able to showcase their talents at the event. The team of Ellie Braidic, Tiara Oates, Makeda DeBardelaben and Janina Pollatz came in at 1:50.56 in the 4×200-meter relay.

Coming in first and second for the Green and White, Braidic and Pollatz vaulted 3.85 and 3.45 meters, respectively.

On nabbing the 1-2 finish in the pole vault, Parks said, “We have always been strong in the vault and I don’t expect this year to be any different. I believe that Ellie Braidic is ready to step up her game and Janina Pollatz and Natalie Uy (who did not compete in the vault in this meet) will also be great backup for us.”

The Eagles will be off until Jan. 11, when they will host the EMU Triangular at Bowen Field House.