Club hockey loses both games against Davenport

On Jan. 10-11, the Eastern Michigan University Eagles (12-8) went up against the Davenport University Panthers (17-8) at Patterson Ice Center in Grand Rapids Michigan.

On Friday, the Eagles fell to the Panthers 5-2. The Panthers opened the scoring at 12:37 and then notched another goal at 8:22 of the first period.

Going into the second, down by two the Green and White would see Davenport score two more goals before tallying the first of the game. At 3:39 of the second period, Clayton Hodges scored the first goal for the Eagles on a power play with an assist from junior Jordan Roemer to put them on the board.

Hodges scored again a minute and thirty-nine seconds later with an assist coming from Anthony Stankiewicz. Davenport would score one last goal before the game ended at 5:09 of the third period.

On Saturday, the Eagles looked to bounce back but again fell to the Panthers 8-3. The first period would be a back and forth battle between the two teams.

“We gave up four power play goals on Saturday and need to be better,” EMU coach Kevin Gee said. “Returning defenseman Jacob Harbowy from illness will be beneficial.”

Stankiewicz opened the scoring for Eastern at 10:38 of the first period with an assist coming from senior Jason Simota. The Panthers then came back on a power play to score at 7:27. The Green and White would then capitalize on a power play goal from sophomore Ryan Faucheux with an assist from junior Bryan Kozlowski. The Panthers would score again to tie the game before the end of the period with a goal at 1:53.

Davenport scored two unanswered goals in the second to leave the Eagles trailing 4-2 heading into the third.

The Panthers tallied up three more goals in the third before Eastern would notch their third goal of the night. At 2:52, Mike Comben scored with an assist from Kyle Astalos.

“As a whole two things were crucial this weekend,” Gee said. “I didn’t like our goaltending overall and our power play was awful— going 1-for-13 in two games.”

The Eagles will look to snap a three game losing streak in their next matchup against Kent State University. Face-off will take place at the Taylor Sportsplex on Jan. 17 at 7:30 pm.