Eastern Michigan University hired Todd Frakes to be secondary coach. He previously held the roles of defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Drake University, under Chris Creighton.

EMU football adds defensive coordinator, secondary coach

Eastern Michigan University football coach Chris Creighton announced the hiring of two former Drake University coaches to his staff Wednesday.

Brad McCaslin and Todd Frakes were named as defensive coordinator and secondary coach, respectively.

Both were members of Creighton’s staff at Drake.

McCaslin has served as Drake’s defensive coordinator since 2012. Before that, he was a member of the coaching staff at the University of Nebraska-Omaha from 1997-2011, starting in 1997 as a graduate assistant and finishing his time at Nebraska as the team’s associate head coach and defensive coordinator.

“Coach McCaslin knows defense,” Creighton said in a news release. “ We will be assignment sound and our guys will get after the ball. He is bright and very creative with his schemes and I am very excited about him leading our defense. Our guys will love playing under his leadership.”

McCaslin’s teams have had winning records in 15 of 16 seasons, with a record of 124-56 and winners of seven conference championships.

Frakes joined the Drake staff at the same time as McCaslin, as the team’s defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator. Prior to that, he was the running backs coach for San Francisco St. Ignatius College Prep (2011) and head coach/defensive coordinator for the Kirchdorf Wildcats of the German Football League.

“Coach Frakes has worked with Coach McCaslin for the past two season and they work extremely well together,” Creighton said. “He has been a collegiate defensive coordinator and brings a ton of knowledge to the table. His leadership as recruiting coordinators will take our sophistication to another level.”

A native of Cheyenne, Wyo., McCaslin and his wife, Erin, have three children, Gabrielle, Kelton, and Bodey.

Frakes and his wife, Meghan, have a daughter, Nadley.

Social Media:

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho