Taylor Stubblefield (above) is one of three new assistant coaches hired by Chris Creighton on Feb. 6.

Creighton adds three more coaches to his staff

On Feb. 6, Eastern Michigan University head coach Chris Creighton announced the addition of three assistant coaches to his staff.

Taylor Stubblefield, the wide receivers coach at Wake Forest University last season, will serve in the same capacity.

“Taylor has a lot of energy and passion for coaching,” Creighton said. “I look forward to seeing that translate to the receiving core here at Eastern.”

One of the most prolific wide receivers in National Collegiate Athletic Association history at Purdue University from 2001-04, Stubblefield returns for his second stint in Ypsilanti. He was a graduate assistant working with the receivers at EMU in 2008.

As a player at Purdue, Stubblefield finished with 3,629 receiving yards which currently stands second all-time in Big Ten history.

Jay Peterson also returns for his second stint at EMU, this time as the running backs coach after serving as the defensive coordinator/linebacker positions from 2011-13 at Miami University.

Peterson served as the defensive coordinator from 2004-06 and linebackers coach from 2004-08 at EMU under former head coach Jeff Genyk.

“Jay is exactly the kind of person that I want our players to be around,” Creighton said. “He is a man that is full of passion and loves the guys that he coaches. We are so fortunate to have him on our staff.”

Chris Simpson, who served as the linebackers coach at Grand Valley State University for the last four seasons, will serve as the team’s outside linebackers coach.

“Coach Simpson has been a part of multiple championship-winning programs and we are hoping he can bring that experience to our team,” Creighton said.

Creighton expects to announce the tight ends coach at some point next week to round out his staff for the 2014 season.

Social Media:

Follow Eugene Evans on Twitter @GenoSportsguy.