EMU student orgs host cultural networking event

Eastern Michigan University kicked off Black History Month with an event titled “Family Affair” on Monday. The Women’s Resource Center, LGBT Resource Center, Center for Multicultural Affairs and student organizations like Black Student Union attended the event with tables set up for people to learn more about what each organization had to offer.

The Family Affair event was meant to bring students together as a community. Many organizations on campus and around Ypsilanti were welcome to give out information on their programs and resources available to students.

“This year’s theme for Black History Month is ‘Ubuntu: I Am Because We Are,’” director of Diversity and Community Involvement Reggie Barnes said. “Ubuntu, a southern African philosophy, teaches collective efficacy, unselfishness, openness, respect and the good will of all the people above self-interest.”

Barnes also stated that the Center for Multicultural Affairs is in the process of revamping its programming structure to be more inclusive to the campus community and engage more students in meaningful ways.

“Although we will continue to sponsor these types of events to kick-off all of our cultural heritage celebrations, we plan to do a better job of promoting them so the entire campus knows about them,” said Barnes in regards to the sparse crowd at Monday’s event. “We’d also like similar events in the future to provide a networking opportunity where students, faculty and staff of particular cultural backgrounds can connect.”

One student organization on campus with a lot going on this month is the Black Student Union. They work to provide opportunities to black students that may otherwise not exist in our current society.

The BSU also strives to educate students at EMU about the black experience. At their meetings every other Thursday, they talk about a variety of campus related topics and issues like, for example, lack of snow removal endangering students on campus.

“People can express any issues they may have and we try to come up with solutions together. We go around and discuss it,” said sophomore and BSU member Makia Evans.

The Women’s Resource Center was also there to share upcoming events and plans for the semester, such as the Vagina Monologues on Feb. 13, 14 and 15. Stories of sex, love, sexual harassment, female empowerment and more will be shared at this off-Broadway play.

“We’re here to just share what’s coming up and spread the word about what we can do to help women,” said senior Simone Dixon.

A business called Wake Up Now also sent in a local representative to Monday’s event.

Wake Up Now is a home-based business where you get discounts on a web-based search tool for deals for sharing discounts and deals with friends on social media.

“You can use it to pay student loans, to pay bills or if you’re simply running short on cash. It’s like working from home or your dorm,” said an independent business owner and advocate for Wake Up Now Robin Johnson.

“Family Affair” went on for about three and half hours with people coming and going. Food and drinks were provided to accompany the informal setting of the event that kicked off Black History Month.

“This year, we have the most robust collection of Black History Month events EMU has ever had sponsored by various offices, student organizations and academic departments,” said Barnes.