D.James goes independent

The music industry has gone through a transitional period since its early days in the middle of the 20th century. Powerful movements have struck the chords of many generations and will continue to do so.

The recent generations of individuals have been able to slice through the traditional methods of buying, selling, and constructing music. Music artists have one of two options, they can go to a major record label or become an independent artist.

Independent music labels and artists rose to prominence during the early 1990’s when those who were creating music found out that there are alternative ways that they could get their music played and sold amongst consumers.

In the 1990s, Master P was selling CDs out of his truck for a small price, and this type of method caught the attention of label executives in the industry, which, at the time, made him one of the highest paid artists in the business.

Today, artists such as Rocko, Maino, Yo Gotti, and Tech-Nine have taken the independent direction and newer artist are taking pursuit. Being independent means you are in control of your own destiny, and also the funds that you make from different outlets, you ultimately keep for yourself.

Technology has also made things easier for independent artists as well. You can now put your music on different music websites such as: Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and YouTube, create you a website on Wix.com, and promote all of these things via; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Danzell James, better known as D. James is taking the independent route early in his career. As a sophomore at Eastern he is making major moves toward his goals by constantly releasing good music and staying true to the people who have supported his dreams.

His mom passed away in 2011 which motivated him to release his first mixtape, “Fresh out of High School,” under the independent label, “Imari Entertainment.”

He just released his second mixtape entitled “HMG.”

“I’m starting my record label HMG Hustle Music Group,” James said. “The Hustle Music 1 Mixtape explains my grind and why I hustle.”

I put my stamp on this approval on his music because he carries himself in a humble, reserved and honest manner. These are three elements that numerous rappers of our generation lack. I see him doing events around Eastern Michigan University’s campus and he always has positive messages to spread to everyone who he comes encounter with.

It’s time that we bring the realness back to hip-hop, and the entire music business. Go over to datpiff.com and download his mixtape and spread the word. You can also follow James on Twitter and Instagram

@DJAMESHMG.