MAC preview: Week 5

The Eastern Michigan University football team has the week off, but a good portion of the Mid-American Conference will be in action, Saturday.

Western Michigan University at Virginia Tech University, 12:30 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

The Broncos (2-1) will be traveling to Blacksburg, Va. to take on the Hokies (2-2), Saturday afternoon. WMU is coming off a 45-14 win against Murray State University. Quarterback Zach Terrell was 20-of-29 for 228 yards, a touchdown and an interception. VTU fell to Georgia Tech, 27-24 in the Hokies’ last contest. Quarterback Michael Brewer was 28-of-39 for 297 yards and 3 interceptions.

University of Akron at University of Pittsburgh, 1:30 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

The Zips (1-2) have lost their last two games, most recently a 48-17 blowout at the hands of the Marshall University Thundering Herd. Akron starting quarterback Kyle Pohl was 17-of-37 for 151 yards and two interceptions. Tommy Woodson came off the bench and was 8-of-15 for 100 yards and a touchdown. EMU will take on Akron on Oct. 4. The Panthers (3-1) lost 24-20 to the University of Iowa. Chad Voytik was 19-of-29 for 250 yards and an interception.

Ohio University vs. Eastern Illinois University, 2 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

Ohio beat the University of Idaho, 36-24, in the home opener for the Bobcats (2-2). Derrius Vick started for OU, going 4-of-6 for 68 yards and a touchdown. He left in the first quarter with an injury and did not return. JD Sprague relieved Vick, going 8-of-13 for 165 yards and no touchdowns. EIU (1-3) is off to a rough start, following the departure of former coach Dino Babers (Bowling Green State University). After losing their first three games, the Panthers beat Austin Peay University, 63-7. Jalen Whitlow started for Eastern Illinois, going 13-of-15 for 159 yards and 2 touchdowns. Andrew Manley saw limited time, as well – going 2-of-4 for 48 yards.

University of Massachusetts vs. Bowling Green, 3 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

The Falcons (2-2) were blown out by the University of Wisconsin, 68-17, last week. James Knapke, starting in place of injured starter Matt Johnson (hip, out for the season), was 9-of-16 for 112 yards, a touchdown and an interception. Cody Callaway played late, going 2-of-5 for 15 yards. The Minutemen (0-4) lost, 48-7 to Penn State University, last week. Blake Frohnapfel was 17-of-33 for 263 yards and a touchdown. Eastern plays UMass, which has not won a game since Oct. 12, 2013 (17-10 vs. Miami University-Ohio), in three weeks.

Kent State University at University of Virginia, 3:30 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

The Golden Flashes (0-3) are coming off a bye week. Their last game was Sept. 14, a 66-0 loss to Ohio State University. Colin Reardon was 14-of-27 for 76 yards and 3 interceptions. Nathan Strock entered late, going 1-of-7 for 3 yards. The Cavaliers (2-2) lost 41-33 to Brigham Young University, last week. Greyson Lambert started for UVA, going 21-of-35 for 188 yards and an interception. Matt Johns relieved him, going 14-of-23 for 139 yards and a touchdown.

University at Buffalo vs. Miami (Ohio), 3:30 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

UB (2-2) won its last game, 36-7 vs. Norfolk State University. Joe Licata was 13-of-25 for 229 yards and 3 touchdowns. Miami (0-4) lost a close game with the University of Cincinnati, 31-24, last week. Andrew Hendrix was 13-of-26 for 262 yards, 2 touchdowns and an interception.

Game to Watch: University of Toledo vs. Central Michigan University, 7 p.m., Saturday, ESPN3/WatchESPN

Toledo (2-2) won its MAC opener last week, 34-23 over Ball State University. Logan Woodside was 13-of-22 for 152 yards, a touchdown and an interception. CMU (2-2) will have running back Thomas Rawls back in the lineup, after he was reinstated to the team following his guilty plea to attempted larceny while at Soaring Eagle Casino in April. The Chippewas lost their last game, 24-10, to the University of Kansas. Cooper Rush was 18-of-26 for 178 yards and an interception. Martez Walker (56 yards) and Devon Spalding (22 yards) each had 10 carries for CMU.

MAC teams with a bye week: EMU, Northern Illinois University, Ball State

The Eagles return to action Oct. 4 when they travel to Akron to take on the Zips. Kick off is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Social Media

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho