SPORTS FBN-GIANTS-LIONS 8 DE

NFL round-up for Week 2

National Football League Round-up, Week 2

Detroit Lions:

After a very impressive start to the season with a 35-14 victory over the New York 

Giants, the Lions struggled in Carolina, losing 24-7 to the Panthers. All the progress 

made from the offense from the opening Monday night appeared to take a step 

backwards.

The issues from 2013 came back to haunt the Lions, as 3 turnovers were committed, 

aiding in the defeat. Rookie kicker Nate Freese missed a pair of field goals, as well.

The Lions return home this week to play the Green Bay Packers. Both teams are 1-1 on 

the season, and this is the first divisional game for the entire NFC North this season.

The running game has struggled early, averaging only 73 yards a game on the ground, 

and Reggie Bush, a 1,000 yard rusher last season, has 41 yards on 15 carries through two 

games this season. The passing game hasn’t missed much of a beat, but the key for the 

rest of the season will be for offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi to add to the running 

game and create more balance.

Around the League:

Cleveland Browns 26, New Orleans Saints 24

Kicker Billy Cundiff hit a 29 yard field goal as time expired to give Cleveland an upset 

win over the New Orleans Saints. Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer completed 24 of 40 

passes with one touchdown, while defensive back Tashaun Gipson returned a Drew Brees 

interception 62 yards for a touchdown. The Browns are now 1-1 on the season while the 

Saints are a surprising 0-2.

San Diego Chargers 30, Seattle Seahawks 21

Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers found tight end Antonio Gates three times for 

touchdowns while San Diego also won in an upset, this one over the defending Super 

Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks. The Chargers offense handled Seattle’s notoriously 

strong defense, as Rivers completed 75 percent of his passes and the team gained 377 

yards of total offense. Both teams are now 1-1 on the season.

Green Bay Packers 31, New York Jets 24

Green Bay came back from an early 21-3 deficit to defeat the visiting New York Jets 

and earn their first win of the season. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers threw for 346 

yards and three touchdowns, including the game winning 80 yard touchdown to receiver 

Jordy Nelson. A late timeout call from the Jets sideline negated a game tying 37 yard 

touchdown with 3:31 left in the game, and the Jets failed to score afterwards. Both teams 

are 1-1.

Other News:

Bills, Cardinals Off to Great Starts

The Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals have surprised the NFL by both starting 2-0 on 

the season. Buffalo has the been the most surprising team early on, easily defeating the 

Miami Dolphins 29-10 on Sunday and defeated the Chicago Bears 23-20 in overtime on 

opening week. The Cardinals followed up an impressive 18-17 opening week win over 

San Diego by going into New York with backup quarterback Drew Stanton getting the 

start for an injured Carson Palmer and defeated the Giants 25-14. Buffalo will host San 

Diego this week, while Arizona hosts division rival San Francisco.

Week 3 Games to Watch:

Denver Broncos at Seattle Seahawks, 4:10 p.m.

The Broncos travel to Seattle for a rematch of the most recent Super Bowl. Denver looks 

to avenge its 43-8 defeat at the hands of the Seahawks in February.

San Francisco 49ers at Arizona Cardinals, 4:10 p.m.

The Cardinals have an early lead on the NFC West division at 2-0 and hosts division 

rival San Francisco. The 49ers are coming off a rough loss against the Chicago Bears on 

Sunday after losing a 17-0 lead to Chicago.

Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m. 

Kirk Cousins will step in for Robert Griffin III at quarterback while Griffin suffered a season ending ankle injury in Sunday’s 41-10 Redskin victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Philadelphia is coming off back-to-back comeback victories and are looking to take a commanding early lead in the NFC East.