NASO to hold Fall Fest

Eastern Michigan University’s Native American Student Organization will hold their annual Fall Fest On Tuesday, Nov. 4 at 6 p.m in Student Center Ballroom B.

“Students will get more information about our other events that we are having,” said Amber Morseau, president of NASO. “It is a good time to get to know us and establish a relationship with the Native American community on campus.”

The event will open with the drum group, Painted Rock, playing traditional Native American music. Following the drum circle will be a speech given by Fay Givens, sister to faculty member, Betty Kay McGowan. Both are United Nations representatives for indigenous peoples.

“Their work is very important to the Native American community in the United States because they address issues that most people wouldn’t,” Morseau said. “We are honored to have her as our speaker this year.”

After hearing about Givens’s experience at the United Nations, a prayer will be said before dinner is served.

“Traditionally, before a Native American Feast, we say a prayer thanking the Creator and Mother Earth for the food. It is just blessing and giving thanks for everything that we have, because without Mother Earth and without the Creator, we wouldn't have these things,” Morseau said.

The dinner will feature traditional Native American food, including on Mahnomin and wild rice.

“This year there has been a focus on wild rice preservation. Because of everything big companies are doing, we’re losing our water. Wild rice lives and is grown on the water, and because we are losing our water and the water is getting sick, so is the wild rice,” Morseau said. “That is one of our staple foods, especially for Michigan Natives, because a lot of Michigan tribes are on the water because that is where a lot of our life source is from.”

Following dinner will be a break out session where students can mingle and network.

“Come out, hang out with us, it’s a lot of fun and everyone has a really great time,” Morseau said.