Eastern Michigan forward Karrington Ward looks on in their 66-46 loss to Michigan State in East Lansing Wednesday night.

Three point shooting leads Eagles to victory over Missouri State

Following a tough 66-46 loss to Michigan State University, the Eastern Michigan men's basketball team defeated Missouri State, 77-65, Saturday night in Springfield, Mo. The Eagles improve to 9-2 on the season. 

"This is a big win for us. It is important to bounce back after a loss. Good teams, successful teams find ways to bounce back; to not lose two in a row," said coach Rob Murphy after the game to WEMU. 

Eastern Michigan forward Karrington Ward led the way with 18 points and 9 rebounds. Raven Lee contributed 14 points, 4-7 from three point range and Mike Talley had 10 points. 

The Eagles greatly improved their shooting from the Michigan State game as they shot 51 percent from the field and 39 percent from three. This included the Eagles making nine three point shots.

The Eagles came out strong and never looked back as they never trailed once in the game.

Missouri State had a strong game from guard Marcus Marshall who had 21 points and went 4-11 from three point range. 

The Bears struggled offensively, especially in the first half with 20 percent from the field, shooting 31 percent from the field overall.

The Eagles come away from their non-conference road schedule stretch at 2-2.

Up Next: 

The Eagles return home Tuesday, Dec. 23 to take on Coppin State University at 6pm. Coppin State is 1-9 on the season. 

Notes: 

Eastern Michigan center Mike Samuels did not play due to illness

Social Media: 

Follow Andrew Mascharka on Twitter: @amascharka