Five ways to boost your self-esteem

All of us run into that time where we just don’t feel good about ourselves. We feel like we don’t understand what’s going on in our classes, none of our clothes seem to look good on us, our friends are always busy and we don’t know what we are going to do with the rest of our lives. Here are a few of my tips to you to help boost your self-confidence, and in turn, your overall happiness.

1. Pursue Your Passion

Being able to pursue something that you love will make both your self-esteem and self-worth skyrocket.

If you love animals, apply at a pet store or local dog kennel. If you enjoy teaching, apply for a tutoring position in your best subject at the Holman Success Center, or if you like sports join one of Eastern’s many varsity or intermural sports teams.

Doing something that you love every day has a similar effect to wearing your favorite outfit. When you are engaging in something you are passionate about, you will feel more confident and happy overall.

2. Wear Your Favorite Outfit

We all have that one outfit that we feel really good about ourselves in. Wear that one more often. I’m not saying that your self-esteem is only physical, but feeling good about your looks will help you to feel more confident all around. If you can walk around all day wearing something that you feel good about yourself in, those feelings will translate over into days where you wear other outfits.

3. Positive People

I have personally experienced the impact of both positive and negative people on my own self-esteem. I found that oftentimes, when interacting with those who have a negative outlook, their attitudes would rub off on me.

I found that positive people have the same effect, but instead of making me question my happiness and the world around me, they made me feel better about myself and everything I was doing.

Cutting ties with poisonous people is very important. Anyone who is making you feel bad about yourself and does not have your best interest in mind is simply not worth your time.

4. Wake Up Earlier

I know that college students value their sleep, but waking up just half an hour earlier will give you more time in the morning to get up and get ready for class.

No one feels good about themselves speed walking to class in sweatpants and a sweatshirt because they wanted that extra 10 minutes of sleep. So wake up a bit earlier, have a relaxing cup of coffee, do your hair, or simply give yourself the chance to pack your bag slowly, instead of just cramming everything you think you need in there as fast as you can.

You might be tired when you first get up, but as soon as you start moving your mood will improve and it will translate into your entire day. When you don’t feel rushed and sluggish the whole day your self-esteem is bound to go up.

5. Learn to Love Yourself

In a society where we are constantly comparing ourselves to people and celebrities on social media, it can be hard to keep your self-esteem up. It seems like there is such a precise mold that someone has to fit into in order to be viewed as good looking and likeable and that’s simply not fair.

Everyone is different and unique. We all have our own special looks, talents and passions and quite frankly there are very few of us that will fit into that one mold, so love yourself as you are.

If you can learn to do this, and then proceed to do things to make yourself happy instead of everyone else your self-esteem will be endless.