EMU students walk to important historic sites during the Martin Luter King Commemorative March on Jan 15, 2015 on Eastern Michigan University's campus.

Students march on EMU

in commemoration of Dr. Martin Luther King

Eastern Michigan University kicked off its five-day Martin Luther King celebration with its annual commemorative march around campus Thursday.

Students chanted “No Justice, no peace!” in reference to the recent shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and sang the civil rights anthem “We Shall Overcome.”

The procession made several stops at various buildings and memorials, including the Marshall Building and the Cesar Chavez fountain, and members of Alpha Kappa Alpha sang a spiritual melody while embracing the MLK memorial statue.

President Susan Martin and Regina George, director of urban community and international outreach, were in attendance.

George passionately explained this year’s theme:

“The theme is an illusion. The work of Dr. King has not been completed - peace, love, equality,” she said. “His message was love and peace. He was my hero.”

Tiran Burrell, the event organizer, led students in the march. He shared information about African American faculty members and directors at EMU and highlighted John W. Porter, the first African American president of the university. The senior appeared enthusiastic and said that all students should be a part of this.

“Is gives a nostalgic feel," he said. "A lot of people don’t know the effect of the march. This gives people a better understanding. It gives a first-hand experience of what it is to march. It shows the dedication, breaks the illusion and keeps everything going.”

President Martin said that this event can benefit students in a big way and is very grateful for student involvement.

“All of our events were planned and executed by students, from our theme to our logo, all generated by students,” she said. “They should look to students for inspiration and see the importance of Martin Luther King, his leadership and his legacy.”

Rodman Hodges had an enjoyable experience and took great pride in being a part of the march.

“I learned a lot about Martin Luther King,” Hodges said. “The march means a lot for black males and society. It’s important for black males to go to college.”

The significance of this occasion was not lost on participants, especially Giovanni Wasson.

“Unity, we have to come together, we have to stand for something,” he said. “No matter the race, you have to come together. The problem can’t be solved with one race. It’s important for the betterment of the people.”

Subsequent to the march on EMU, Reginald Barnes, director of diversity and community involvement, hosted a screening of the documentary “Hidden Colors 2” in the Student Center Auditorium. The film highlights historical events in African history that are not standard in history books. A panel discussion immediately followed.