News briefs, Jan. 13

Dr. Patti Duncan: Genealogies of Unbelonging - Contesting Legacies of U.S. Militarism in South Korea

Patti Duncan will be hosting a discussion on the transition of feminism in the U.S. military and the historical effects on women, gender, violence and migration in South Korea, highlighting mixed race and transnational adoptees. The discussion will be held from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, in the Halle Library Auditorium. The event is LBC approved.

Open Mic Lounge

Just Arts and Music will collaborate with Campus Life and will be hosting an open mic event from 9 to 11 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, in room 300 of the Student Center. The event is open to all EMU students interested in performing or enjoying an open mic experience.

Friday Night Movie: Annabelle

Annabelle will be showing free at 8 and 10:30 p.m. in the Student Center Auditorium.

Soul Kinetic, Annual Faculty and Guest Artist Dance Concert

The 63rd Annual Faculty and Guest Artist Dance Concert features dance majors and minors performing in dance works choreographed by guest artist choreographers and faculty members. Styles of dance span the gamut from classical ballet to hip-hop to modern. The concert will be from 8 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 17, in room 124 in Quirk Sponberg Theatre.

Veteran journalist John Gallagher to visit EMU

Detroit Free Press reporter John Gallagher will kick off the lecture series “The Future of Urban Michigan” on Jan. 20 at 7 p.m. with his lecture titled “Can We All Get Along? Detroit, the Suburbs and the State of Michigan Face an Uncertain Future.” The lecture will be in Pray-Harrold room 201. Gallagher covers urban and economic redevelopment for the Free Press and has also been a major player in the coverage of Detroit’s bankruptcy and the new Detroit Red Wings arena district.