News briefs, Feb. 15

Monday, Feb. 16

Beyond The Binary: A Transgender Perspective

This event will give students a new perspective on what it means to be transgender from an individual with firsthand experience. A short lecture along with a question and answer session will be available. The event will be in the Quirk Sponberg Theatre from 11 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. Contact Danielle Ensch at 734-306-2759 or at densch@emich.edu for details.

A Black History Month Expert Panel Discussion – “Assessing Barack Obama's two-term presidency: how would history judge it?”

Panelists include Barbara Patrick, Jerome Reide, David Walton, Solange Simoes, Ravi Perry and Patrick Pieh. Moderator: Victor Okafor. Free refreshments will be available. The lecture will be in the ballroom in McKenny Hall, from 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Contact Victor Okafor at 734-487-3460 or at vokafor@emich.edu for details.

LGBTQ Coalition Building

Michelle Kelsey-Kearl and Guiliana Sorce (Indiana University Purdue University - Fort Wayne) present their new research, “LGBTQ Coalition Building: A Case Study in Queer Community Making.” This presentation is part of the Equality Knowledge Project. The presentation will be in room 300, in Halle Library from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Contact Michael Tew at 734-487-3032 or at mtew@emich.edu with questions.

California's White Sharks: New Methods to Study Ancient Predators

Dr. Taylor Chappel, a research scientist, will present information on sharks gathered from his research at Stanford University in Pacific Grove, California, where he is currently employed in the biology department. The lecture will be in room 154 of the Mark Jefferson Science Complex, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Contact Judy Pokrywki at 734-487-4242 or atjpokrywk@emich.edu for details.

Tuesday, Feb. 17

Sex Posi+ive: What's your kink?

BDSM, 50 Shades of Grey and more! Love it or hate it, 50 Shades of Grey made some serious waves. Find out what the BDSM community has to say and learn about the mysterious world of kinky sex. The lecture will be in room 352 of the Student Center, from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Contact Ellen Lassiter Collier at 734-487-0364 or at ecollie1@emich.edu with questions.

Detroit: Is There Life after Bankruptcy?

This will be a lecture and Q&A with Stephen Henderson, editorial page editor of the Detroit Free Press. Henderson won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for commentary based on his analysis of Detroit's collapse, the plights of its citizens, and the city's future. The lecture will be in room 216 of Pray-Harrold, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Contact Arnold Fleischmann at 734-487-3113 or atafleisch@emich.edu for details.

Star Lecture: Improving the Odds of a Life Well-Lived: Links Between Health and Emotion

Join Dr. Minnie Bluhm for the fifth Honors Star lecture where she explores a newly emerging area of interest in public health: the link between emotions and health, reviewing the impact of factors such as stress, optimism and attitude on a life well-lived. The lecture will be in the Halle Library Auditorium from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Contact Rebecca Sipe at 734-487-0347 or at rebecca.sipe@emich.edu with questions.

Wednesday, Feb. 18

MusicNow Festival

Featuring Steven Stucky, Guest Composer-in-Residence Concerts by Bands, Choirs, and Orchestra, as well as Music/Dance faculty, this festival will take place in Pease Auditorium and will last all day long. Contact Diane Winder at 734-487-4380 or at emu.music@emich.edu for details. Additional information can be found athttp://www.emich.edu/musicdance/musicnow

Understanding Key Challenges of African American Men in the Academic Workforce

This presentation by Morris Chair Dr. Jerlando Jackson from the University of Wisconsin will examine the extent to which certain factors influence the observed representation of African American and White males in the academic workforce. The presentation will be in room 203 of the Porter College of Education from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Contact Regina George at 734-487-1060 or at rgeorge@emich.edu with questions.