Is single the new sexy ?

It’s another Friday night and all of your friends are going out on amazing dates, or at least it seems that way according to Instagram. While it appears as if everyone and their mother is having the time of their lives, you're stuck inside binge watching Lifetime movies with Ben & Jerry’s to keep you company.

While relationships are glamorized as the height of happiness and romance, nowadays being single and dating around seems to be what’s in. So, is being single really better than being in a relationship?

“I think people my age should be single and enjoy their youth,” said sophomore and public health major Lula Geyre. “We should be spending our time going on adventures with our friends rather than stressing about relationships.”

Being single doesn’t have to equal boring or alone. If anything, it can give people more ways to have fun and enjoy life without having to deal with the stress of being tied down to someone else.

Although society still sees relationships as desirable, especially with holidays like Valentine’s or Sweetest Day, there are still people who are finally taking notice of the perks of being single. Spending more time with friends, traveling, perfecting your talents or skills and saving money are just some of many advantages that single life brings.

“Do I feel that not being in a relationship are seen as being more desirable than being in a relationship?” senior psychology major Azari Hassan said. “Definitely. For the younger generation being single, or having a no strings type of relationship is seen as the attractive more socially acceptable option for women now.”

Strangely enough, people in relationships could end up envying their single friends because they might look as if they have more freedom, while those single friends might feel that they are missing out because they aren’t with someone at the moment.

Single or not, the most important thing is being content and happy with where you are in life. Learning to enjoy your own company shows that you have a lot of confidence in yourself, regardless of your relationship status, and that is sexy.