Midwest Media Expo

The latest cosplay convention is just around the corner. Midwest Media Expo 2015 will be taking place during the weekend of April 10 to April 12 at the Renaissance Center in Detroit, the same location used for Youmacon.

The same group of people behind Youmacon runs Midwest Media Expo, and its second year is already looking better than its first event held last year.

Special guests at this year’s event include the steampunk band Steam Powered Giraffe, Ellen McClain, the voice actress of GlaDos from Portal, Akira Yamaoka, composer of music for the Silent Hill game series, steampunk musician Aurelio Voltaire and many more.

This year also presents some very special events, the most notable being the National Finals of the World Cosplay Summit. Also featured is the “Deadpool Café,” a special eatery dedicated to the zany comic book character.

Though this convention is very much like Youmacon, it is not entirely focused on anime. Midwest Media Expo features different “tracks” or themes that attendees can focus on for their weekend. The tracks for this year include Cosplay, Film, Fandoms, Comics, Video Games and Tabletop Gaming. In essence, this is a convention that has something for just about everyone without the singular focus on anime and Japanese pop culture found at Youmacon.

Badges for Midwest Media Expo 2015 can be purchased from the official convention website at midwestmediaexpo.com. A three-day pass costs $45 online until March 10. A special Platinum Pass that has extra perks not included in a three-day registration costs $100 and can only be purchased online. The three-day badge is available for purchase at the door for $50, with one-day passes being offered at the door for $25 and youth passes for $10.