Graduation party ideas

Long hours spent doing research papers. Late nights studying at the library. Working one, or sometimes two, full-time jobs all while going to school and finding time to have a social life.

You finally made it through the fun, challenging and sometimes crazy college years, which means now you’re graduating. Making it through to the finish line deserves a special celebration, so here are five party ideas to get you started.

Have a barbeque in the backyard

Now that the sun is shining and the weather is more inviting, everyone is spending as much time as possible outside. Having the people you care about the most celebrating your accomplishments is nothing short of an amazing experience. Add great, flavorful food that’s hot off the grill and everyone will have another reason to celebrate.

Go to the beach

Feeling the warm sand between your toes, playing in the beautiful, clear blue water, sipping on cool drinks surrounded by laughter and good vibes. Sounds like you? Consider having a grad party on the beach. Just don’t forget the cooler.

Senior biology major, Azari Hassan has already started planning as well.

“I’m graduating soon and I love being at the beach,” Hassan said. “So celebrating such a significant moment at one makes sense.”

Make reservations at a restaurant.

If you’re not the “party type” then doing something a little bit more intimate like reserving space in a restaurant might be up your alley. Make sure to get a head count and place your reservations as early as possible so you have more flexibility if people can’t make it.

“You can never go wrong with eating out to celebrate since it’s in a big space without as much craziness as an actual house party,” said Sara Korb, a freshman and psychology major.

Party at school

It may sound strange to want to spend even more time at the place you can’t wait to leave, but it makes sense. College campuses have banquet halls and spaces that work perfectly to rent for parties. The best part is that you might be able to score a great discount since you’ll soon be an alumni.

Host a degree-themed party

A creative and fun way to celebrate is to host a party in a venue that correlates to what you have your degree in.

If you have an art degree, think about renting out an art gallery or a gym if you’re in physical education. There are so many different degrees and majors that you’ll never have to wonder what theme and venue to choose.

In the end, whatever you choose to do to celebrate, just remember that the most important thing is to relax, have fun and surround yourself with those who supported and loved you through it all. Take a deep breath, you’re finally done.