Eastern Michigan celebrates at mid-court in the Eagles 75-65 win over Ball State in the semi-finals of the MAC tournament in Cleveland. OH on March 13, 2015.

Verdi receives six-year contract extension

Eastern Michigan women’s basketball coach Tory Verdi received a contract extension for three years added onto his current contract following his team's 24-13 season. The contract extension was approved at the Board of Regents meeting June 16.

The contract will commence on July 1, 2015 and is set to end on April 25, 2021. Verdi also will receive a $20,000 pay increase, which brings his total to $185,000 a year.

Verdi will receive extra incentives if the following are met and are as stated in his contract:

• $10,000 bonus for MAC regular-season championship or MAC tournament champion, with a maximum of $15,000 if the team wins both. ($2,5000 increase from current bonus)
  • $10,000 bonus if the team receives an at-large invitation to the NCAA Tournament. ($2,500 increase from current bonus)
  • Seasonal bonuses between $1,000 and $5,000 for reaching paid attendance benchmarks.
  • New bonus incentive - Each season the team has an NCAA Academic Progress rate (APR) above 930, University shall pay employee a bonus of $5,000

Verdi will also be paid $5,000 to make appearances on the EMU Eagle Radio show.

Verdi took over the program on April 26, 2012 and the team struggled mightily in his first season, going 8-22. The Eagles have shown quick improvement since then going 18-14 in 2013-14 and then the extreme success the team showed this past year, going 24-13 and making it to the Sweet Sixteen of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

The Eagles will look to continue building on the success from last season as sophomore standouts Cha Sweeney and Janay Morton return for their junior season.

Social Media:

Follow Andrew Mascharka on Twitter: @MascharkaPhoto