Eastern Idol auditions seek student talent

Do you have what it takes to become the next winner of American Idol? If you are not convinced to go on the nationally televised competition, then why not try out for Eastern Idol?

The Black Homecoming committee and the Black Student Union of Eastern Michigan University will be hosting the event during Black Homecoming Week. This will be the third year the Black Student Union has put on Eastern Idol.

“We are looking for students that want to showcase their talent while having fun with it,” said Domonique McGhee, president of the Black Student Union.

Auditions will be Sept. 23-25 from 7-9 p.m. in the Student Center, room 342K. At auditions students will be judged on talent, stage presence, ability to capture the judge’s attention and eagerness to participate.

Tammy Holland, an EMU freshman psychology major, is optimistic about the event.

“I think it’ll be fun. I hope everyone participates and becomes successful,” she said.

The past winners of Eastern Idol include alumna Lydia Seale, a recording gospel artist and Shelby Lasky of Alpha Xi Delta.

“The goal for our event is to continue uniting our campus through diversity and inclusion,” said McGhee.

Eastern Idol will be a free event and will be held Oct. 5 in the Student Center Auditorium at 8:30 p.m. If you cannot make the audition dates and would like to audition, you can set up an arrangement with Domonique McGhee by email at dmcghee5@emich.edu.