Redshirt-freshman Kristin Nason battles for the battle in a match at Scicluna Field. 

EMU Soccer outlasts Loyola-Chicago to record first win on season

Senior Megan Trapp scored the Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer teams’ lone goal Sunday when the Eagles traveled to Chicago and defeated Loyola-Chicago 1-0.

The match was a part of the Loyola Invitational in Chicago, Ill., where the Eagles (1-3) were trampled 7-0 earlier in the weekend by a ranked DePaul University.

In a surprising switch, Coach Scott Hall decided to start freshman goalkeeper Kaylin Williams instead of senior ‘keeper Megan McCabe. Williams, in her first collegiate start, also recorded her first win of her career as well as her first shut-out. William’s made four saves, in what was the first shutout by a freshman in their debut since 2007.

Hall sent out the fourth different line-up in as many games against Loyola-Chicago as he tries to find stability and consistency in his team’s lineup.

The Eagles has an early opportunity on goal in the third minute of the game when redshirt-freshman Kristin Nason delivered a cross into the box, where junior Madison Hirsch was waiting for the ball. Hirsch, tied with Trapp as the team’s leading scorer, sent the ball wide of goal with a header.

Both team’s had their opportunities in front of net, with Loyola-Chicago trying to take advantage of the inexperienced Eagles goalkeeper in Williams. But Williams stood strong in the box, not allowing any chances past her on the afternoon.

At halftime the game was tied 0-0, but the match wasn’t void of quality chances for each team.

Finally, in the 64th minute the Eagles struck. After earning a corner, Eastern flooded the goal box with players. Junior Rachel Washburn stepped up to take the corner-kick, sending a ball in front of goal where Trapp was awaiting the chance to break the deadlock. The ball was met with the head of Trapp, which was then sent to the back of the net giving the Eagles a 1-0 lead.

The goal signified the first time Loyola-Chicago conceded a goal in 283 consecutive minutes.

Additionally, Trapp and Washburn earned Loyola-Invitational All-Tournament honors for their efforts in the tournament.

Looking Forward

The women’s soccer team isn’t quite ready to return to Scicluna Field quite yet. The Eagles will travel to Normal, Ill., where it will take on Illinois State University in the final match of its five game road stint.

Eastern Michigan will final return home for their season opener in Ypsilanti on Sept. 6, when it takes on the University of Illinois-Chicago in an afternoon match-up.