Feminist Fest offers support and information for women

The Feminist Fest brought together many organizations that offered young women support, knowledge of their rights, and a feeling of empowerment.

The Feminist Fest took place Tuesday, Sept. 15 in EMU’s Student Center ballroom.

Upon entering, there was a table labeled “Feminist Swag,” covered with t-shirts, stickers, bracelets and buttons. The definition of feminist was boldly printed on shirts: a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.

“I think so many people are unaware about feminism,” said Laverne Williams-Moore, a nursing major. “The definition of it gets thrown out in the complete opposite meaning, in a bad way, like ‘oh, I hate men.’“

All the money raised during the Feminist Fest will be given to SafeHouse Center, an organization that assists survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. SafeHouse helps survivors with the legal process they must undergo, as well as provide a shelter and offer counseling. They are in the process of developing a children’s program.

“If you need help, reach out,” said Meggan Casper, felony legal advocate and counselor at SafeHouse. “There’s help out there.”

Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention, ASAP, is a group that strives to end sexual and domestic violence on Eastern’s campus, as well as in the community.

“We look for solutions and ways to promote consent,” said Darcy King, 20, a founding member of ASAP.

Planned Parenthood had a petition for legislation on the 2016 ballot that every Michigan voter gets paid time-off when they’re sick. Lauren Bacans, Mid-Michigan field and online organizer, said not everyone has the ability to stay home from work to take care of themselves and their family, and being granted that right, it would strengthen families and the state.

Some of Planned Parenthood’s services that can help young women include: annual exams, birth control, emergency contraception and pregnancy tests. They also offer STD testing, treatment and HIV testing.

Another EMU organization was present at the Feminist Fest—Students for Choice.

“We’re trying to get out the word about sexual health and sex education, and getting access to health care for all people,” said Karlie Ebersole, 21, intern at the Women’s Resource Center.

Their next meeting is Thursday, Sept. 17 at 5 p.m. in 423 Pray-Harrold.

Ebersole is also a member of Women Affected by Ableism, which is a group that helps discuss the needs of women with disabilities around campus and how they can be improved. It will be a space for women to talk about ableism.

The National Organization for Women is the largest feminist organization in the United States. At the fest they were discussing the Eden Foods initiative. They are encouraging companies to cover birth control even though they legally don’t have to.

Sister Supply is an up-and-coming non-profit organization that gives menstrual supplies to girls who are homeless or living in poverty. They are also trying to put an end to the negative slams on menstruating.

“Feminism is pretty important,” said Kris Lane, 20, civil engineering major. “It’s the equality for all genders, who would be opposed to that?”