Five movies to enjoy with family over Thanksgiving break

Thanksgiving is on its way and students are ready to go home and chow down on Turkey, cranberry sauce and all kinds of traditional dishes. After stuffing your face with, well, stuffing, there needs to be time for your stomach to settle down and digest.

Watching movies is an easy way to spend quality time with family and, as an added bonus, it gives your stomach a chance to get back to normal and ready for dessert. Here are 5 recommended films to sit back, relax and feel thankful with the family on.

1. The Good Dinosaur (2015)

During a rainstorm, young Arlo (Raymond Ochoa) is swept miles away from his home and family, the mighty dinosaurs. He meets a Neanderthal boy name Spot (Jack Bright) who helps him along his journey and joins Arlo on an adventure to get back to his family. It will be in theaters on Thanksgiving Day.

Rated PG

2. The Peanuts Movie (2015).

The beloved story of Charlie Brown (Noah Schnapp), Snoopy (Bill Melendez) and the rest of the Peanut gang are told in 3D animation for the first time on the big screen. Based on the comic strip by Charles M. Schulz, the story tells of Charlie Brown, his quest at home and his crush on the “Little Red-Haired Girl” (Francesca Capaldi) who moves in his neighborhood. The beagle, Snoopy, will be taking the skies as he battles his arch nemesis, The Red Baron. This movie is now in theaters.

Rated G

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

A holiday movie-must. This film is perfect for not only Halloween and Christmas, but the holiday in between. Created by Tim Burton, the story follows the King of Halloween Town, Jack Skellington (Danny Elfman) who discovers Christmas Town and decides to celebrate Christmas. With a great soundtrack for the family to sing along to, the holiday classic will be brining laughs and maybe tears from the score and characters. It is available on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and on DVD.

Rated PG

4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987)

A Thanksgiving classic written by John Hughes, a man (Steve Martin) tries to get home for Thanksgiving and is joined by an obnoxious salesman (John Candy). This movie is available on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and on DVD.

Rated R

5. What’s Cooking? (2000)

A British/American film, the story centers on Thanksgiving Day where diverse families—African American, Latino, Jewish and Vietnamese—come together to celebrate the holiday. Staring Alfre Woodard, Kyra Sedgwick, and Mercedes Ruehl. This movie is available on Amazon, Hulu and on DVD.

Rated PG-13