Brad Mitchell, 23, is a social work major at EMU who will be participating in No-Shave November. 

No-Shave November raises awareness for men's health issues

Say no to razors and shaving cream and hello to facial hair this month.

Brad Mitchell, a 23-year-old student at Eastern Michigan University, has pledged to participate in not shaving this month. Mitchell, a social work student, says he never knew how the whole no shaving month actually began, but was totally down for the ride.

“Usually, I trim the sides of my beard and keep the hair longer to create a goatee,” Mitchell said.

When asked why he was participating in the event, he said it was all for his favorite hockey team, The Red Wings.

“I’m a big hockey fan, so when they announced they were participating I assumed it was a hockey cause,” Mitchell said. “I never like shaving anyways, so it was fine with me.”

While that’s being a loyal hockey fan, there are true origins of “No-Shave November.” Similar to how people wear the color pink to help spread the awareness of breast cancer in October, No-Shave November is an annual event that supports a better cause than just hockey.

Men participate by the growth of facial hair to raise awareness of men’s health issues. This month supports men’s health issues such as depression in men,prostate cancerand other male cancers, and associated charities.

No-Shave November is a month-long journey during which participants cease shaving and grooming in order to evoke conversation and raise cancer awareness.

Although this month is well known as No-Shave November, a secondary name does exist: Movember. In the same as the original tradition, Movember raises awareness by encouraging men, whom are identified as "Mo Bros” to get involved and stop trimming/shaving their beards hence the name Movember or “mustache November.”

The aim of the cause is to increase early cancer detection, diagnosis and effective treatments, and ultimately reduce the number of preventable deaths. The Movember Foundation began in 1999 in Adelaide, South Australia. Besides annual check-ups, the Movember Foundation encourages men to be aware of family history of cancer and to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

Many people may recognize this month as just a “thing” guys like to do for fun, but it is so much more. Men finally can take a stand on cancer and help spread the awareness. Instead of going out to buy pink clothing or accessories to help show support they can take the pledge and say no to shaving creams and razors for four weeks.

Just like Mitchell is saying no to razors, 21-year-old EMU student, Derrick Collins, is too. Collins is participating in the Movember event by not shaving his mustache.

“I think this is a good cause to know there are men out here who care about spreading the awareness of cancer,” Collins said.

Just like Mitchell and Collins were, many people are unaware of the true meaning behind this month.

To get involved or to participate just put down the razor and clippers. For 30 days you can help students like Mitchell and Collins spread awareness on campus and take a stance. For more information to get your community involved visitwww.no-shave.orgor www.us.movember.comand get started participating today.