EMU participates in the Gift of Life Challenge

Eastern Michigan University is challenging students to participate in the Gift of Life Challenge. According to organdonor.gov, someone is added to the waiting list for an organ donor every 10 minutes. But the fact is that there aren't enough people donating to meet the number of people that need a transplant.

According to the American Transplant Foundation, 123,000 people across the country are on waiting lists for organs or tissues. That is why the Health Administration Student Organization is participating in the five-week drive, from Jan. 20 to Feb. 24, to get as many students as possible to register themselves as organ donors.

If a student does decide to register for this, the student will get a new driver's license with “ORGAN DONOR” written on it in capitals. This is done so when emergency situations occur and their life is taken from them, health care professionals can remove their organs or muscle tissues and use them in transplants to save the lives of others.

You can do this at http://giftoflifemichigan.org/become-donor?tag=school. EMU is competing with 12 other colleges and universities across Michigan. Eastern currently has 14 registered students, 0.06 percent of the student body according to giftoflifemichigan.org, behind Wayne State and Ferris.

Siena Heights, Calvin College, Grand Valley State and the U of M have 0 students registered so far. According to my.emich.edu, the college that gets the most students to sign up will receive a trophy. There will also be a trophy for the school with the most students as a percentage of the student body.