University Gallery hosts new Faculty Exhibition

Stop and take a peek into the Student Center’s University Gallery for distinct pieces of art created by Eastern Michigan University’s Art Department. The exhibit includes a wide variety of pieces: photography, painting, watercolor, print media, ceramics, graphic designs, sculpture, fiber, metals, video and mixed media.

Two pieces done by Jason Ferguson are quite eye catching! They are both 3D Printed Graffiti style. Ferguson’s pieces were both inspired by the 2D print hung up alongside the pictured art pieces.

“MeshBomb: Ganesh”has multiple images of a Ganesh, which start at a small size and gradually amplify into a larger size. A Ganesh is the elephant-headed god of wisdom and learning. Ferguson’s piece was fitting to this description of Ganesh. We all start out ignorant yet through our experiences our knowledge grows.

Star Wars’ fans might enjoy Ferguson’s second piece, which features Yoda. “MeshBomb: Yoda”consists of Yoda’s head split into two different pieces. The split head allows us to view the inside of his head, which is physically empty. The hollowed head gives room for viewers to establish their own interpretation on the piece.

Margaret Davis used oil on resin to create“Plasticity.” Davis incorporated many different colors in this piece and this element stood out to me as an observer. The shade of red in the pillows and blue of her jeans and beanie was particularly alluring.

This showing will be available for viewing until Feb. 8 at the Student Center University Gallery. If you have any questions contact Greg Tom at gtom@emich.edu or by phone at 734-487-0465.