Nation Crime Victims Rights Week share information and raise awareness in the Student Center on April 14. 

EMU observes National Crime Victims Rights Week

In observance of National Crime Victims Rights Week from April 10-16, the Department of Public Safety, Crime Prevention, and Wellness Center partnered to share information with Eastern Michigan University community for an event dedicated to victims’ rights in the Student Center on Thursday, April 14.

National Crime Victims’ Rights Week highlights challenges faced by victims and shines light to the everyday struggles and hardships they face as a result from their assaults.

These themes accentuate the importance of early intervention and victim services, and establish a safe and compassionate environment where victims can share their stories and receive support.

The coordinators of the event aimed to provide outreach as well as spread the word about the university’s many options and programs dealing with crime prevention. According to the EMU’s 2015 Annual Security Report and Fire Report, larceny and theft on campus rank as the top two crimes committed that year, followed by drug and liquor law violations, and sex offenses just below that.

“Were trying to wrap our arms around it, and one way is that we’ve recently created a SVU team that I serve on, as well as other members of police department,” Officer Candace Dorsey said, twenty-two year veteran of the EMU Police Department.

Currently, the title of most dangerous college campus in Michigan belongs to Michigan State University. However, with the robbery and murder of EMU football player Demarius Reed in 2013 and the murder of EMU student Julia Niswender in December 2012, some students still feel uneasy about the terse atmosphere on campus, especially at nightfall.

“I get worried, especially when I see these emails,” said Stephanie Thompson, a junior. “These are places right near my apartment (Peninsular Place).”

“I carry pepper spray, and I go out in groups,” said Angel Reynolds, junior.

Student organizations that specialize in the enhancement of student safety, such as Campus Security Authorities (CSA) and the Student Eyes and Ears for University Safety (SEEUS), hope that their continued efforts help to make campus a safer place for future students.

“We want to make this an annual event, and really draw in the student body and community. Between our agency, DPS, and our friends at the Wellness Center providing programs also, we hope that we can keep this a safe haven for our students and faculty,” Dorsey said.

To report a crime or incident that is in progress, pick up a blue-light emergency phone found on campus, call DPS at (734) 487-1222 or 911.