EMU's Holman Success Center and essential deadlines

EMU students having knowledge of deadlines and of the academic resources available on campus can prove to be beneficial because being a successful college student is an ongoing job. The last day to add classes via web is Sep. 13.The drop deadline for when students can still get 100 percent tuition back is Sep. 16. The Holman Success Center is housed in the Halle library, Room G04. The Holman Success Center is made up of several programs geared towards helping students achieve their full potential on campus. In some cases EMU graduate students work one on one to assist, and empower students to stay on course.

Some students have a strong desire to accomplish things on their own." My father and other male role models in my life have always made me feel empowered to accomplish my goals on my own. I feel that is just a part of being a black male, so I on occasion I like to do it on my own, and I am not sure I would seek help from other resources," said EMU student Jaeden Jackson, 19, Sports Management and Communications major.

“Oftentimes, students regard seeking out support as a sign of weakness.  While this perception may exist in high school, it certainly does not in college.  We encourage all students to take advantage of the support we provide - peer mentoring, success coaching, tutoring, supplemental instruction, and more,” said Christine     Deacons, Director of EMU Academic Support Programs.

Recently there has been an addition of the Eagle Rewards program. The grand prize for participating in the program is 12 credits paid tuition. Since the program started students have been more inclined to seek out the support they need, and students receive reward points for doing so.

"I feel that the resources EMU provides are great! The Holman Success Center and so forth help students become better at what ever it is they are learning. Seeking help when you need it only helps you become better. Plus the help is free so why not take advantage of it if you can, and also the Eagles reward program is a great opportunity to push students to want to do better," said EMU student Chelsea Dixon, 22, Health Administration major.

"Some of our highest achieving students have been regulars in seeking out support from our office. Many students who could benefit still do not utilize our services. That being said this year we do anticipate an increase in the number of students we will support and increase in the total hours of support provided,” said Deacons.

Tutoring Schedule by Department  - http://www.emich.edu/hsc/tutoring/departmentaltutoring.pdf

Drop in Tutor Schedule - https://holmanemu.formstack.com/forms/untitled_form_8

Contact number: 734.487.2133