Shayler Barnes Jr.

Articles (82 total)

Keith Boykin to Keynote MLK celebration at EMU

Keith Boykin, a nationally known political commentator and author, will serve as the keynote speaker for Eastern Michigan University’s (EMU) 33rd annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration at 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, in the Student Center Auditorium. 

April continues with campus events

On Tuesday April 11, Bras for a Cause will be collecting new and gently-used bras all day in Marshall cubicle 302D to benefit Free the Girls, an organization that has donated bras to women in Mozambique, El Salvador, and Uganda. Also Tuesday, EMU Percussion Ensemble Concert will be performing at 7:30 p.m.

April kicks off with campus events

On Tuesday April 4, Zeta Sigma Chi will host the first annual Nacho Average Greek Social, an opportunity to meet some of EMU's Greek life, ask questions, socialize and eat nachos.

Future forum weighs in on EMU unity mural

The future forum, hosted by the Unity Mural Project, triggered conversation between an audience of roughly 50 students and staff in McKenny Ballroom, March 28. The Unity Mural Project hosted a forum to discuss Eastern Michigan University's future.

EMU piano professor performs Bach-Brahms

Joel Schoenhals, pianist and professor of piano at Eastern Michigan University, performed concert 2 of his Bach-Brahms project, Pease Auditorium, March 24. Schoenhals’ Bach-Brahms project is a two-year, four-concert series that features the complete partitas of Johann Sebastian Bach and character pieces of Johannes Brahms.

Unity Mural Project discusses EMU's past

The Unity Mural Project “past” forum was attended by roughly 20 students and staff, March 20. The Unity Mural Project was organized by several students and staff following the several incidents of racist vandalism on EMU’s campus, fall 2017.

The men of NAACP celebrate black women

The men of the Eastern Michigan University NAACP Chapter put on, “Celebration of Black Women,” this event featured different forms of art that all celebrated women, Student Center Auditorium, March 19. The women’s celebration was an art showcase which gave a platform for male and female student artist to celebrate black women.

Media