Students at Eastern Michigan University were evacuated as smoke filled Putnam Residence Hall due to an accidental fire reported mid-afternoon on Monday, Sept. 26.
The fire started when a hot curling iron came into contact with a mattress in a resident's room. While smoke filled Putnam Hall the fire was confined to that room.
No one was reported to be injured; two students and three police officers were checked for smoke inhalation and released.
Smoke from the fire set off alarms in Putnam, Walton, Phelps and Seller Residence Halls and students were evacuated as a safety precaution before being allowed to return to their dorms.
Additional smoke was cleared from Putnam Hall before students were allowed to return inside around 4 p.m. No damage was caused by the fire other than the room that the fire was confined to.