Soccer struggles as it kicks off MAC play

Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team suffers back-to-back losses for the second straight week in the opening of Mid-American Conference play.

Sophomore Peyton Davis scored her career goal as the Eagles suffered their loss in MAC play losing to the Northern Illinois University Huskies, Sunday, September 25.

The Eagles best scoring chances were stopped by two offsides calls – which left EMU without a shot for the first 33 minutes of the first half. Sophomore Kaylin Williams saved all three of the Huskies (3-4-2, 2-0-0 MAC) shots in that time. NIU’s Abby Gregg found the net in the 36th minute as the Huskies exit the first half leading over the Eagles 1-nil.

In the 52nd minute EMU’s senior Elle Tillar had her opportunity for a score, but was stopped by NIU’s Amy Annala. With another chance to tie in the 63rd minute, but the play was dead – however the Eagles shut down NIU and stopped a clearance in the midfield.

Northern Illinois increase their lead to 2-0 in the 66th minute, but the Eagles broke potential shutout with Peyton Davis first career goal in the 90th minute when Tillar found Davis to pull within one. Davis’ goal was the lone strike for the Eagles as they suffer their first MAC loss against NIU, 2-1.

A messy second half derailed the Eagles MAC opener Friday evening, September 23, against Western Michigan University Broncos. The Eagles (2-5-2, 0-1-0 MAC) allowed five second half goals – a season high, as EMU dropped the outing, 5-0.

The lone shot in the first half came from senior Madison Hirch, sending a header in the sixth minute. The attempt was saved by WMU keeper – which was the only scoring chance for the Eagles in the first minutes of play.

Western Michigan University broke the silence in the second half with a goal in the 48 minute before scoring two more in the 59th and 62nd minutes respectively. Trailing by three goals, the Eagles were in need for goals – hoping to get back into the match. In the second half EMU came up with 10 shot attempts, but all came up short.

The Broncos took the match, 5-0 after two more goals in the 89th and 90th minutes. The Eagles will look to end their four game losing streak as they host the Cardinals of Ball State and the Redhawks of Miami (OH) Sept. 30 – Oct 2.