EMU celebrates International Women's Day with campus march

Even with high winds and a large power outage throughout the “Great Lakes” state, girl power was in full effect.

Both the male and female student body, faculty and staff alike were on hand for the Women's March at Eastern Michigan University’s Student Center, Wednesday, March 8. The crowd braved the elements to support women from all “walks of life” in support of International Women's Day. EMU Women’s and Gender Studies Department led the event.

The march began from the Student Center fountain and proceeded to Welch Hall. The march began shortly after 1 p.m. with a crowd of approximately 100 people.

“I think it's fabulous that we’re able to celebrate International Women's Day and we've celebrated here on campus since 2011,” Dr. Jacqueline Goodman, department head of Women's and Gender Studies, said.

“Celebrating women in other parts of the world [is important] given what's going on in our country,” she said.

International Women’s Day is a worldwide celebration that calls for change in many important women's related social issues -- such as wage gap, equality and sexual harassment toward women in the workplace -- as well as issues regarding LGBTQ women and women of color.

According to a 2016 Joint Economic Committee report, the average working woman still earns on average, $4 less compared to a man, with more disproportion for women of color. When it comes to labor participation, 50 percent of women, as opposed to 76 percent of men, participated in the workforce.

“It's good to see all kinds of different people here today. As a white queer man myself, it's time to stop learning about women only feminism,” said Richard Cole, graduate assistant of the EMU Women's Resource Center, during a speech.