EMU Baseball Lost in the Fog

Eastern Michigan Baseball completed a three-game series against Texas A&M Corpus Christi in Corpus Christi, Texas from March 1-3. The Eagles were swept in the series by the Islanders.

In the first series between the two teams, the Islanders jumped out to early leads in all three games, helping to propel them past the Eagles. The combined score of all three games was 27-8 in favor of the Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

The Eagles now sit at 2-9-1 overall after this series, while the Islanders are on the opposite end with a record of 9-4. The series was plagued by heavy fog that prevented the first two games from being completed. They would have to be rescheduled for later in the week.

Game one on March 1 was played into the bottom of the fifth inning, but heavy fog made it impossible to play, so the remainder of the game was rescheduled to take place on March 2. The teams were able to finish game one, with the Islanders coming away with a 12-4 win, thanks in large part to nine runs being scored in the first five innings. The Eagles would never recover from the early deficit.

The teams started game two shortly after the first game concluded but only managed to get to the second inning before heavy fog forced the teams to once again reschedule. The second game of the series was moved to 10 a.m. on March 3 with game three following shortly after it.

Game two was more of the same, as the Islanders once again held onto the lead they had when the game was delayed with a final score of 7-2. The Eagles only scored in the second inning thanks to Jeff Timko but the offense fell silent after that and the Islanders held on to win.

Game three was the only game of the series that had no delay but it was a similar result to the first two games as the Eagles fell 8-2. John Rensel Jr. and Timko provided the only runs for the Eagles in the last game with both scoring in the top of the second inning.

Eastern Michigan kept things close towards the beginning of the game as it was tied at two heading into the bottom of the third inning. But a two-run home run by Nick Anderson put the Islanders up 4-2. From there, they would continue to add onto the lead and outlast the Eagles. 

Coach Roof and his team were not made available for comment after the games. The Eagles will return home for a few days of rest before they head back on the road to play former MAC rival Marshall in a three-game series from March 8-10 in Huntington, West Virginia.