Tristen Hines

Milan defensive back commits to the Eagles

Tristen Hines, out of Milan High School, announces commitment to Eastern Michigan.

Tristen Hines announced his commitment to play for the Eastern Michigan football program on June 22, 2019. Hines is a 175-pound defensive back for Milan High School. He will graduate from Milan in 2020 and will attend Eastern Michigan the following school year. 

Hines plays wide receiver and cornerback for the Big Reds but is expected to play defensive back for the Eagles. He finished his junior year with three touchdowns and 130 total yards on offense. On the defensive side, Hines racked up 90 total tackles and three interceptions last season.

Hines received scholarship offers from Valparaiso on June 3, 2019 and Eastern Michigan on June 12, 2019 before his commitment via Twitter.  

“I felt it was the right fit because me and the coaches have a really strong relationship,” Hines said. “Especially me and coach Frakes, and I knew I wouldn’t get that at any other school. The culture is changing at Eastern, and it’s different than it was 10 years ago. Coach Creighton wants to win and I want to be a part of that for sure.”

The Eagles haven’t won a conference championship since 1987, but they have been improving recently. For instance, the Eagles have two postseason appearances in the last three years after not doing so in 29 years. Eastern Michigan is 19-19 in the last three seasons and have a 12-12 record in the MAC. The Eagles also finished second in the MAC West last season with a 5-3 record. 

One of Hines’ goals for his college career is winning multiple conference titles. 

“I want to earn a degree first and foremost and I want to win four MAC championships and go to a bowl every year,” he said. “I feel defensive backs can be successful at EMU because of the coaching staff and how they train the players. Coach Creighton has guys who want to win and he is always positive about the future. If we keep getting good players, we can for sure keep getting better and get to a MAC championship.”

The 6’0” defensive back will begin his senior season with a road game against Bridgeport on Aug. 30, 2019. The Eagles’ first game with him on the roster will be against the Kentucky Wildcats in Lexington on Sept. 5, 2020. 

Hines cites his grandpa, high school coach and teachers as people who have helped him get to where he is. 

“My grandpa has been a big impact for me making sure I get to camps and on visits,” he said. “My coach Hoskins has helped me through everything this far and teachers have really gave me extra attention and helped me get higher grades.”