Best MAC Players

Ranking the best men's basketball players in MAC history

Earl Boykins, former EMU guard, won the MAC Tournament MVP in 1998.

1. Nate Thurmond (Bowling Green Falcons): Thurmond was dominant for the Falcons in his three seasons as he averaged 17.8 points, to go along with an incredible 16.6 rebounds per game for his career. He was named to the All-MAC First Team three times and was an All-American in 1963. Thurmond went on to earn seven NBA All-Star appearances for the Golden State Warriors. 

2. Bonzi Wells (Ball State Cardinals): Wells played for the Cardinals from 1995-1998 and averaged 21.4 points for his career. In his sophomore year, he put up 25.4 points and 8.8 rebounds on his way to his first of two MAC Player of the Year awards. He would win the award again during his senior campaign. Wells was selected by the Detroit Pistons in the 1998 NBA Draft. 

3. Gary Trent (Ohio Bobcats): Trent won three MAC Player of the Year awards, which is remarkable in itself, but averaging 22.7 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game is noteworthy as well. In his second year with the Bobcats, they went 25-8, won the MAC and went onto the NCAA Tournament. Trent was drafted 11th overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in 1995. 

4. Ron Harper (Miami RedHawks): Harper is mainly known for winning five rings in the NBA with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers but before that, he was making a name for himself in the MAC. He played with the RedHawks from 1983-1986. Harper won the MAC Player of the Year in 1985 and 1986, as he averaged 24.4 points and 6.5 assists during his senior campaign. 

5. Earl Boykins (Eastern Michigan Eagles): Boykins gradually increased his production every year he played for the Eagles. He averaged 12.5 points per game as a freshman and three years later, put up 25.7 points during his senior season. He also dished out 5.1 assists for his four-year career in Ypsilanti. Boykins won the MAC Tournament MVP in 1998. 

6. Chris Kaman (Central Michigan Chippewas): Kaman was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan and went to Central Michigan from 2001-2003. In those three seasons, he put up 15.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. The seven-footer won the MAC Player of the Year and MAC Tournament MVP in 2003, prior to being drafted 6th overall in the NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. 

7. Sam Pellom (Buffalo Bulls): Pellom played for the Bulls from 1975-1977, averaging double-digit points per game in all three seasons, while also grabbing 16.2 rebounds during his sophomore year. Pellom, who had his No. 50 retired by Buffalo, went undrafted in the NBA but eventually played for the Atlanta Hawks and Milwaukee Bucks from 1979-1983. 

8. Romeo Travis (Akron Zips): Travis is known for playing with LeBron James at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School but after James went onto the NBA, Travis went to play for Akron. While playing for the Zips, he was named the MAC Player of the Year in 2007. Travis averaged 14.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game during his senior year. 

9. Greg Stempin (Toledo Rockets): Stempin might not be the most recognizable name on this list but that doesn’t take away from what he did with the Rockets. He played for the University of Toledo from 1998-2001, and led the Rockets to four consecutive winning seasons, including a 22-11 record in 2001. He averaged 18.3 points per game in his final season. 

10. Paul Griffin (Western Michigan Broncos): Griffin was not only a very good player but he was also the leader of the top team in Western Michigan basketball history. In 1976, the Broncos went 25-3 and reached the Sweet Sixteen for the first and only time in school history, as they also won the MAC regular season title. Griffin averaged 10.8 points and 9.9 rebounds per game that year. 

11. Kenny Battle (Northern Illinois Huskies): Battle attended Northern Illinois for the first two years of his career and he was dominant, putting up 19.9 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.4 steals per game. He then transferred to Illinois where he would continue to put up big numbers. Battle was All-MAC First Team in 1986 before getting drafted by the Detroit Pistons.

12. John Edwards (Kent State Golden Flashes): Edwards was born in Hudson, Ohio and played for Kent State from 2000-2004. In those four years, he grew from a player that averaged just 2.0 points per game as a freshman to a double-digit scorer and the 2004 MAC Defensive Player of the Year. Edwards also earned All-MAC First Team in 2004. He would go onto play for the Indiana Pacers.