mariah.jpg

Mariah Carey celebrates nostalgia with ‘Merry Christmas’ deluxe anniversary album

Mariah Carey celebrates the holiday season and her “Merry Christmas” album’s 25th anniversary by releasing a deluxe anniversary album.

Mariah Carey, known for loving Christmas and nostalgia, released “Merry Christmas (Deluxe Anniversary Edition)” on Friday, Nov. 1 to commemorate her Christmas album from 25 years ago.

Although it may feel a bit early for Christmas music, Carey reminds us of the joy that comes with the holiday season through her anniversary album.

Her version of “Silent Night” is a new addition to her collection. The new song begins the album and starts with Carey’s usual runs and a gospel choir.

The album goes into her classic “All I Want for Christmas is You.” She released this song back in 1994, but during these last 25 years, it’s hard to go almost anywhere during the holiday season without hearing it.

Carey is a worldwide superstar known for her songs, such as “Always Be My Baby” and “We Belong Together,” but it’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” that’s her most played song on Spotify. This song has over 509 million plays on Spotify and is one of my favorite songs to listen to during the weeks leading up to Christmas.

Two songs with strong nostalgic feelings are “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” and “Miss You Most (At Christmas Time),” and they have truly stood the test of time. The first song is fun and jazzy, whereas the second is a beautiful and gorgeous ballad. These songs are Carey in top-vocal shape and show why she is one of the best female vocalists of all time. 

“Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child” is a standout, festive and soulful track that takes us to church. It’s also where Carey really brings her A-game. While “All I Want for Christmas is You” is fun and poppy, this song shows a different side of Carey. Both songs work well and are examples of how Carey has been masterfully singing different genres over the span of her career. 

The album contains six live versions of her Christmas songs. She performed these at The Cathedral of St. John The Devine in 1994. Hearing the live versions of songs is refreshing because the majority of the album is not new.

“Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town” is definitely one to check out. Carey gives the song full voice, and she’s funny when she talks to the audience. 

One of my favorite tracks, “When Christmas Comes,” is with R&B crooner John Legend. This comes from her second Christmas album, “Merry Christmas II You.”  This song is perfect for sitting around a fire and watching the snow fall from your window.

“The whole word feels a bit more love when Christmas comes,” sings Carey. The two of them together make for a great song filled with joy, hope and love. 

“Oh Santa!” and “Christmas Time Is in the Air Again” are two other songs from her second Christmas album that are included in the new edition. The first track shows Carey having a good time, while the second track shows the beauty of her voice on a ballad. Both of these tracks show why millions of fans have loved Carey for so many years. 

This collection is something that one should not be in a rush to hear because most of the songs have been released before and it’s still early November. On the other hand, Carey is a premiere songstress and known for her love of all things festive. So, if you are going to start listening to Christmas music early, Carey’s new album is a fabulous choice.