New golf training facility fully funded by GameAbove alumni group

GameAbove donated a total of $8 million for a new golf training facility which covers construction as well as operating costs for the next 12 years.

The EMU Board of Regents has approved the construction of a new golf training facility. The facility is 100% funded by the GameAbove alumni group. GameAbove donated a total of $8 million which covers construction as well as operating costs for the next 12 years. This is the third major donation EMU or its surrounding community received from GameAbove.

Construction of the facility, which is to be named “The GameAbove Golf Performance Center”, is expected to begin in the spring and could be operating by the end of 2020. The facility will function as a training site for the men’s and women’s golf teams at EMU. 

It will be located on EMU’s Athletic Campus. The design and precise placement is to be determined based upon price points and future discussions

“You have the opportunity for a state of the art golf facility, which certainly our men and women’s golf teams will use, but they’re hypersensitive to the fact that that facility needs to be used by people who are often shut out of the game of golf,” said President James Smith. “So we think about what we might be able to do with summer camps, what we might be able to do with just learning the game and how we can get students who often are not on a golf course to have that experience.”

President Smith also commented in regards to GameAbove’s coverage of operating costs, “I’ve been very open with the faculty that we can’t afford to continue building sporting facilities unless we have 100% allocation, not only to the building but to be able to maintain it.”‘

GameAbove’s spokesperson, Denis Wolcott, stated that new collegiate golf facilities are appearing across the country and all over the state, therefore, making The GameAbove Golf Performance Center the next step in ensuring EMU remains competitive with other universities and colleges.

“In terms of things that were needed by the university, certainly, the golf facility was the next in line for a need for the athletic department,” Wolcott added. “And also, not to say that others don’t do this, but people who come out of collegiate golf programs tend to give back to the university as well after graduation.”

According to GameAbove’s website, the purpose of this facility is to “enable EMU golf teams to compete at the highest level, enhance Division 1 recruitment opportunities, and eliminate disparities in facilities,” and additionally, “to the pride of having a ‘home’ to call their own, the EMU golf teams will be able to practice year-round and further establish a tradition of MAC Championships and future NCAA Championships.”

The facility will be 15,000 sq. ft. with locker rooms, offices, indoor putting and chipping, and simulators to recreate indoor and outdoor conditions.

“This is one of the most significant gifts we’ve ever received, and that’s just part of it. There have been earlier contributions as well. We’re just very fortunate to have alumni who are doing well in their chosen professions and remembering the school that gave them the academic background to go out in the real world,” said Chairman, James Webb.

For more information on GameAbove and their involvement with EMU, visit gameabove.com or contact info@gameabove.com