The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Morgan drive

EMU looks to snap losing streak against Miami (OH)

The Eagles, who are 0-6 in the MAC, are facing 1-5 Miami.

The Eastern Michigan Eagles (10-9, 0-6) will be finishing up their road trip against the Miami RedHawks (8-11, 1-5). The Eagles are on a six-game losing streak, dropping their game against the Bowling Green Falcons, 62-59, on Tuesday, Jan. 21. The RedHawks on the other hand, have won only one game in their last six games. 

The last time the Eagles played the RedHawks, EMU lost 59-48 at home. Miami is heavily favored in this game, with an average of 75.2 points per game with the Eagles averaging only 64.9 points per game. On the flip side, the Eagles average about 62.8 points against per game while the RedHawks allow an average 73.2 points per game. 

EMU’s Noah Morgan comes into the game as the points leader for the Eagles, averaging 11.4 points per game with a 40.8% field goal percentage and scoring 16 in their last game against Bowling Green. Morgan also leads the Eagles in assists with 1.7 per game. 

“I feel like as a team, we have to figure out a way to put our foot on the gas pedal and not let up. I feel like sometimes we make a couple mistakes like coach said and it gives a team hope and they get back into the game,” Morgan said following EMU’s recent home loss. “I just think we have to keep our foot on the gas pedal from start to finish.”

Miami University’s Nike Sibande is the RedHawks’ point leader averaging 14.1 points per game and 42.7% field goal percentage, scoring six points in their last game against the Akron Zips. Mekhi Lairy, a  sophomore, leads Miami in assists with an average of 3.1 assists and 0.8 steals per game. 

Players to look out for on the Eagles on defense are Boubacar Toure, a senior, averaging 8.7 rebounds per game and Ty Groce averaging 2.1 steals per game. Toure had 17 points and 13 rebounds in the Eagles’ most recent loss to Bowling Green. On the RedHawks, Daltone Brown averages 6.1 rebounds per game.

“We have to figure out a way to get our first MAC win. Nothing is going to be easy. Nobody is going to feel sorry for you,” said head coach Rob Murphy after the Ohio loss. “You’re just going to have to continue to fight because it’s a tough league and everybody wants to win, everybody prepares to win and we just have to do a better job of taking care of the basketball.”

Eastern started this season strong, winning nine games out of their first 10 games but are now fighting to stay above .500 in the win percentage column with a win on the RedHawk’s court. The Eagles have not lost by much in their last five games, with a point differential averaging 6.2 points.

The game can be seen on ESPN+ or listened to on WEMU.