Two friends in front of street art

Opinion: Supporting your friends' art is important

Choosing to support your friends' art, whatever that may be, is extremely helpful and important.

One of the most important things we can do for the people we care for is support them, but more specifically support their art and the things they do. 

I self-published my own poetry book, titled “Ascendant,“ in May of last year. The writing process was very scary, and when the book was finally out into the world, I was terrified of the things that people might have to say about it. 

Something I was not prepared for is that some people would actually have nothing to say at all. Since publishing my book, some of my closest friends have yet to say anything to me about it - which is frustrating. 

I published this book for myself, but to not have the support from some of my friends is heartbreaking. It put into perspective for me how easy it is to support your friends and show up for them, especially when it comes to their art.

Etsy shops, music releases or published poetry books by your friends all need support and love. Even if you can’t purchase them, just sharing them on social media helps a lot, and it is extremely important and helpful to write reviews if you are able to purchase these products. Showing up for your friends is easy, and it means so much when your friends believe in you enough to pay attention to the work you do and the art you create.

When releasing anything creative into the world, even something like a piece of writing, there is vulnerability that comes with it; it can be scary if you start to have doubts about your creative output. Having the reassurance and validation from the people that matter most to you is extra encouraging, and that is why it is so important and matters much more than passive support.

In general, it is important to support creative arts on a smaller scale, because these things are thriving off the limited support they get. Knowing your friends could use that support and giving it to them is extremely helpful and important financially and emotionally.

With releasing art into the world, there is realization that not everyone is going to like what we create, and that is okay. I have learned that the people who matter most will always show up for you and go above and beyond to help support and promote the work that you create.

Even when I get frustrated or start to wonder why not everyone in my life even bothered to pay attention to something like self-publishing my book, I realized what matters is the people who did pay attention. With that in mind, moving forward, I always have and always will do my best to do whatever I can to promote my friends' art, and you should too.