Courtnie Lewis boxing out Kelly

Eagles women’s basketball team looks to snap two-game losing streak in Kalamazoo

The Eagle are 2-3 in their last five outings.

The Eastern Michigan Eagles women’s basketball team (10-11, 5-6) will look for a win over the Western Michigan Broncos (11-9, 4-5) on Saturday, Feb. 8 to break even on their regular season and conference record. With both teams on a two-game losing streak, they will be looking to get back in the win column, as Western Michigan will be also looking to break even on their conference record.

It is looking to be a close game with Eastern Michigan averaging about 68 points per game scored and Western Michigan averaging about 70 points per game. The Eagles average 66 points against while the Broncos give up 67 points per game. From the field, the Eagles averaged about 25 field goal makes per game, compared to 26 for Western Michigan.

The Eagles are coming off a loss last game where they were without top scorers Aaliyah Stanley and Areanna Combs. Sophomore Jenna Annecchiarico scored 17 points in that game, though, and had 10 rebounds against Ohio University. Juanita Agosto had 10 points and three steals in the loss.

Western Michigan’s last game was a loss against Miami (OH), with senior leader Breanna Mobley scoring 22 points with 14 rebounds. Jordan Walker had 24 points and seven rebounds for the Broncos. No other Western Michigan player scored in double digits as Maddie Watters totaled nine points and one rebound in 26 minutes.

On Saturday against the Broncos, Combs will be back on the court for EMU but Stanley will still be out with injury. Combs leads the team in scoring, averaging 18 points per game, and has a 44% average from the field. Stanley is second in the points column, averaging 12 points per game.

On Western Michigan’s side, Mobley averages 11 points per game and a 50% field goal percentage, making her the top scorer on her team. Meanwhile, Leighah-Amori Wool comes in second with an average of 6.5 points per game. On defense, Mobley also leads the Broncos averaging six defensive rebounds per game. Autumn Hudson averages four defensive rebounds per game for EMU.

Will the Eagles be able to come out with a win in Kalamazoo on Saturday with Combs back on the court? Will we see more players step up to fill in the gap without Stanley? There are a lot of questions heading into the crucial road game as the Eagles look to snap their two-game losing streak.

Tip-off is at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8.