The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU to introduce several new majors, including Competetive Eating in an attempt to stay relevant

In an attempt to keep up with the highly competitive collegiate atmosphere, Eastern Michigan University has added several new majors to its catalog. The decision was made Wednesday, April 1st, 2020, during an internal meeting regarding how to keep up with

Note: this article was published as a part of the Echo's 2020 April Fool's Day content.

In an attempt to keep up with the highly competitive collegiate atmosphere, Eastern Michigan University has added several new majors to its catalog. The decision was made Wednesday, April 1st, 2020, during an internal meeting regarding how to keep up with current trends.

These new majors include Fashion Design for Dogs, Competitive Eating, Monopoly Money Management, and Instagram Influencing. Students and faculty alike are buzzing with excitement.

“I think these new majors will have a fantastic impact on the student body and the campus in general,” said EMU senior Lauren Misek. “Things are changing, and new skills are becoming more valuable to society. It feels good to see that my university is interested in advancing and changing as new forms of niche jobs become more prevalent!”

The university is planning on adding these new majors to the Fall 2022 catalog. Additionally, there are ongoing conversations within the different departments to evaluate existing majors. The goal is to maintain relevancy and increase job perspectives for graduating students.

April Fools