Jenna Annecchiaro

Looking back at the EMU women's basketball team's top moments

The Eagles finished 16-15 and reached the MAC Tournament semifinals.

The Eastern Michigan Eagles women’s basketball team had an up-and-down 2019-20 campaign, which came to an abrupt end due to the coronavirus pandemic, just as they were starting to play to their full potential. The Eagles finished with a 16-15 (9-9) record, including a 9-6 record at home, and a number of outstanding individual and team performances. Looking back, here are Eastern Michigan’s top five moments from this past season. 

1. MAC quarter finals victory over #2 Ball State: EMU wasn’t expected to upset the Cardinals at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, and for much of the game, it looked like the Eagles were going to fall short. Fred Castro’s team trailed by five points at the end of the third quarter before coming back to win, behind Areanna Combs’ game-high 23 points, four rebounds, and three assists. Courtnie Lewis added 20 points. EMU was scheduled to face #3 Kent State in the semifinals.

2. Jenna Annecchiarico leads team to win over Western Michigan: A road win against one of your rivals is always memorable but Annecchiarico’s game-high 31 points made this game special. The Eagles went into Kalamazoo on Saturday, Feb. 8, and came out with a 83-79 victory. Annecchiarico shot 5/10 from 3-point range and 6/6 from the free throw line. Meanwhile, Combs had 21 points and six rebounds. EMU trailed 31-29 at halftime before outscoring WMU 32-24 in the fourth quarter. 

3. Combs drops 32 in MAC opener: Eastern Michigan hosted Bowling Green on Saturday, Jan. 4, at the Convocation Center in their MAC opener. Combs was downright dominant for the Eagles, going for a game-high 32 points, seven rebounds, and two assists in the 78-61 victory over the Falcons. Corrione Cardwell added 10 points and six steals. The win was part of a five-game winning streak against Purdue Fort Wayne, Illinois-Chicago, Detroit Mercy, Bowling Green, and Kent State. 

4. EMU advances to Cleveland with thrilling win: Before defeating Ball State in the quarter finals, the Eagles had to get past #10 Northern Illinois in the first round. EMU hosted the Huskies on Monday, March 9, at the Convocation Center. The Eagles were on the brink of elimination, trailing 22-15 after the first and 37-33 at halftime. Combs had a game-high 23 points and 10 rebounds, while Courtnie Lewis had 21 points in the 76-69 comeback win. 

5. The Eagles blow out Miami on Student Night: One of Eastern Michigan’s most balanced games came against the RedHawks on Wednesday, Jan. 15, which was also Student Night at the Convocation Center. EMU dominated the first quarter, outscoring Miami 29-8, before winning 80-53. Combs and Autumn Hudson led the way, combining for 28 points, 10 rebounds, and five assists. The Eagles compiled 12 steals and 39 rebounds, while forcing 26 turnovers.